Question about consolidating and summing up data

daz3d74

Reaction score
Hi all...I'm not sure if this is posted in the right area, but since I don't know if I need a formula or pivot table or what, this seemed like a good place to start.

A client of mine asked for my help with some data they got from their CRM database, I'm not sure which one they use, but the data was given to me in an Excel file. What they have is 4 columns showing First Name, Last Name, Email, and Trips. This is a car service company and they track the amount of trips by each "record". The problem is that in their system, if someone changes any aspect of any of the data, it creates a new record. I have attached a file of a few of these records so you can see what I'm talking about.

They want to consolidate the email addresses to one record with the amount of trips which I'm pretty sure I can do with a pivot table. What I can't figure out how to do is to keep the First and Last names, or even have a choice of which to keep. They want to do an email campaign when this is done, so that data is needed. When I add those two columns to a pivot table, the format comes out all messed up. Not sure if this makes sense but any help anyone could give would be appreciated. BTW - I'm a newbie to Excel. Well I know some things, but not enough to do this.

Attachments

• Testdata.xlsx
    8.6 KB · Views: 13
I would use a pivot table. I wish you would have included your pivot table in your data so I could see what you didn't like. I'm going to guess that you want to play around with PIVOT TABLE TOOLS - DESIGN tab. The first four items can change how you view your data. First try the REPORT LAYOUT - TABULAR VIEW and see if that is closer to what you are expecting. If you try different settings, I'm sure you find the layout/view you are looking for and learn how they can change your view.

Hope this helps!
cbug

Back