Thread: Dynamic Drop down working from dynamic source list

Dynamic Drop down working from dynamic source list

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Hi good people!,

I have a teenie problem. On the attachment you will see column B is dependent on column A. In my actual workbook column B is dependent on another drop down. So, depending on the drop down selection, column B will populate with different values, and will also have either more or less items. Okay, so for this example we make changes to column A. So whether I delete some items in column A or change some of them to "0"'s, I need the drop down in column D to be dynamic. Please help me with this. All and any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel2007
    Hi,
    By using helper coloum it may be possible.

Try below array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter).
    =IFERROR(INDEX($C$3:$C$8,MATCH(ROWS($C$3:C3),COUNTIF($C$3:$C$8,"<="&$C$3:$C$8),0)),"")

plz see attachment. is this help you ?

Hi Sambit,

This is only adjusting the final column. This I have in place already. I need the actual drop down to also adjust so that no blanks are present. Also I cannot open your attachment as your file is a PHP type?

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel2007
    Hi,
    plz see the attachment.

Hi Sambit,

for some reason your attachments come through as PHP type, so I cannot open them. Anyways, I have finally sorted this out. What I did was use the ="A1:A"&Countif(A:A,">""") in B1. I then created a named range "Asset", and pointed it to B1 using "=Indirect(sheet1!B1)". I then changed the source of the drop down to "= Asset". The drop down now adjusts according to how the source list changes.

Thank you kindly for being out there. It is really appreciated.

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel2007
    Hi Juriemagic,
    The above excel file is open in my PC. However, plz go through step by step process as follows:

suppose your data start in coloum B from row 2 to row 7 like A,C,B,Q,G,H.

First step: we make helper coloum i.e, Coloum A, in cell A2 put below formula
    =IF(B2="","",MAX($A$1:A1)+1)

copied down to cell A7.

Second step: we make another helper coloum i.e, Coloum H, put below array (Ctrl+Shift+Enter)formula in cell H2
    =IFERROR(INDEX($B$2:$B$7,MATCH(ROWS($B$2:B2),COUNTIF($B$2:$B$7,"<="&$B$2:$B$7),0)),"")

copied down up to cell I7

Third step : we have to make name list having name data and put formula
    =OFFSET(Sheet2!$H$1,1,0,MAX(Sheet2!$A:$A),1)

Fourth Step: create Data validation and in source put below formula
    =Data

Now check in data validation list when you delete any data in orginal coloum B.

Hi Sambit,

thank you very much for this answer. Your time and efforts are greatly appreciated!.. have a blessed day!