Conditional Formatting Formulas in Other Boxes

raynaywilson

Reaction score
Is it possible to relate the answer in a drop down box (conditional formatted list) with the formula of the subsequent box? For instance, if you picked 'brown' from the list, the next box would multiple a value by 10 but if you picked 'blue' it would multiply by 20?

Any help or ideas would be much appeciated.

Thanks

When you're talking about a drop down box, are you talking about a data validation list? If so, then absolutely. Just set up a table somewhere that has a list of the colours in one column and a list of the values in the other. You can then use a VLOOKUP to choose what to mulitiply.

Have a look at the attached example.

Attachments

• xlgf466-1.xls
    23 KB · Views: 20
Thank you for your reply. I think I though it would be easy to translate my example into what I needed it for but it isn't so am still stuck. I get how your example works but can't translate it (am very amateur on excel).

I am trying to do an income calculator but we have old and new prices which are still both in use. Currently I have 2 different spreadsheets, one for old with the formula worked out in advance and then anther for new prices. My aim is to have one spreadsheet but by picking old or new it will change the formula of the following boxes to work out the correct price. I have attached my excel. Any chance you can see if it would work?

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Attachments

• Book1.xlsx
    9.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I'd be curious to see what your source data looks like, as this to me lends itself to PivotTable output. Regardless, you can solve it using the following:

=(SUM(B12:E12)*VLOOKUP(A$12,$A$2:$I$4,MATCH("Boxes",$A$2:$I$2,FALSE),FALSE))+(SUM(F12:H12)*VLOOKUP(A$12,$A$2:$I$4,MATCH("Bars",$A$2:$I$2,FALSE),FALSE))+(I12*VLOOKUP(A$12,$A$2:$I$4,MATCH("Salt",$A$2:$I$2,FALSE),FALSE))+(J12*VLOOKUP(A$12,$A$2:$I$4,MATCH("Omega 3",$A$2:$I$2,FALSE),FALSE))+(K12*VLOOKUP(A$12,$A$2:$I$4,MATCH("Vitamins",$A$2:$I$2,FALSE),FALSE))+(L12*VLOOKUP(A$12,$A$2:$I$4,MATCH("Magnesium",$A$2:$I$2,FALSE),FALSE))+(M12*VLOOKUP(A$12,$A$2:$I$4,MATCH("Calcium",$A$2:$I$2,FALSE),FALSE))+(N12*VLOOKUP(A$12,$A$2:$I$4,MATCH("Potassium",$A$2:$I$2,FALSE),FALSE))

It's going to be a horrible beast to maintain though...

Thought you would say that. Will just stick with 2 spreadsheets as it seems much similar. Thanks for all your help

Back