Thread: collapse/expand (blank)

collapse/expand (blank)

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

i am trying to utilize a Pivot Table to indenture a Bill of Material. I am not really interested in Summing Values. I just want a clean setup. I like the expand/collapse feature and i find it very useful for the purpose. the problem i encounter is this...
    1, (blank) in empty cells.
    2. + - for cells that are not expandable/collapsible;there is nothing to expand/collapse. if i am going to hand a file like this to a customer they might think there is data missing when they click the +- and it is not a very clean setup.
    i researched the subject but found nothing suitable. I really don't want to go about solving it using workarounds. certainly there must be a better way... how can i do this in a more professional way. the actual file is bigger than this. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 365 ProPlus
    Here are three examples on the three sheets in the attachment.
    Note that the shading or font colour for n/a is via conditional formatting.
    You can of course use white font colour to hide the n/a or change n/a in the table to any other value you want to display. Leaving it a blank cell in the table will however always show (blank) in a pivot.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Attachment 3457
    Regards,
    Rudi
    www.eileenslounge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    Here are three examples on the three sheets in the attachment.
    Note that the shading or font colour for n/a is via conditional formatting.
    You can of course use white font colour to hide the n/a or change n/a in the table to any other value you want to display. Leaving it a blank cell in the table will however always show (blank) in a pivot.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Attachment 3457
    Rudi,
    thanks much; i guess there is no way to get rid of the expand/collapse for the empty cells

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 365 ProPlus
    I doubt so.
    It is a Pivot Table feature and can either be switch explicitly on, or explicitly off.
    Regards,
    Rudi
    www.eileenslounge.com