Excel Newbie Question: .dbf file import help - 1 mil+ rows

LisaExcelHelp

Reaction score
Hi:

I am trying to import a .dbf file into excel. I saved it to my desktop and it says it's 372 MB - compressed size 56 KB. So, I imported, but there are more than 1 million rows, so I can only see part of the data.

Can someone tell me how to import 1 million records at a time, so I can obtain all the data in the file.

I tried opening in Access - wouldn't work. The only way I know to open a .dbf file is to right click and it automatically opens in excel. This is normally fine, but not with such a large file.

Thank you so much for any help you experts can provide.

Lisa

Hi Lisa

If you have Power Query available to you, then you should be able to load it to the Data model for use with Power Pivot.
Within the cache there, you can have 100 million rows.
You could then write the data back out to separate worksheets of less than 1 m rows each if needed.

Hi Lisa

If you have Power Query available to you, then you should be able to load it to the Data model for use with Power Pivot.
Within the cache there, you can have 100 million rows.
You could then write the data back out to separate worksheets of less than 1 m rows each if needed.

Hi Roger:

I mean really newbie...I don't do any programming or anything like that. I just sort, copy and paste. Easy stuff. I was hoping there was a way for someone like me to do it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

Back