PowerPivot Relationship Trouble

bvacha

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting started with relationships in PowerPivot. I've created a dimension table and a fact table and put those in the data model. I linked the many-to-one relationship, but when I create the Pivot table and drag in fields from the dimension and the fact table, the summed dollar values from the dimension table are always displayed as totals. I expect them to be filtered by the dimension attributes. Perhaps someone can point me to a simple example or perhaps someone is aware of a bug or common issue that I'm missing. If I could post attachments here I would love to share and get your thoughts on where I'm going wrong.

The form accepts attachments, click the 'Go Advanced'button, and I think we would need to see the workbook. Mention if it is 2013 or 2010.

This is for Excel 2013. I hadn't noticed the advanced button with the attachments option. Unfortunately, the upload isn't working for me yet...still trying

Attachment

Ok, here's the file I'm having trouble with. In the Pivot Table sheet, I have the pivot table on the left. To the right is the my desired output.

Attachments

• TestFile.xlsx
    197.6 KB · Views: 33
Any ideas, Excel Gurus? I know you can help me figure this out.

Herbds7, thanks so much!! That's the piece I was missing. I didn't understand that I needed to pull the dollars value into the fact table with the related() function. That's exactly what I needed. You rock!!! Thanks also for the recommended reading.

Back