Thread: Formula Not Working - Finding a Date that Falls within a Date Range

Unhappy Formula Not Working - Finding a Date that Falls within a Date Range

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Excel, but I can manage and am a fast learner. Recently I was put to the task of creating a spreadsheet that could calculate overtime and include a column which would only add the hours that were equal to or fell between a date range. I've figured out how to calculate the overtime... I'm just having trouble returning the value from the total hours for a particular day, if it falls within a date range.

See attached spreadsheet...

Cell H6 contains the formula I am having trouble with.

=IF(AND(B6 falls between the value of B3 or value of D3),G6,0)

B3 = Start of Payroll
    D3 = End of Payroll
    B6 = Current Date
    G6 = Total of Hours
    H6 = Total of Hours that fall between date range (B3,D3)

What am I doing wrong? 2Timesheet with OT Calculation.xlsx

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 2016
    The date entered in B3 as 12/01/2014 is not a date according to Excel. You need to enter it as 12/1/2014. You can then format it to show up as 12/01/2014 (but you can't type it in that way).

Quote Originally Posted by NBVC View Post
    The date entered in B3 as 12/01/2014 is not a date according to Excel. You need to enter it as 12/1/2014. You can then format it to show up as 12/01/2014 (but you can't type it in that way).
    YAY!! Such a little thing and it had a big effect on my results... guess I better pay more attention next time.

Thank you soooo much!!

Articles
    Excel Version
    2010 on Xubuntu
    FYI Dates are numbers and when you type them they will right align. Text will always automatically left align in the cell ( if you don't change that manually of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Pecoflyer View Post
    FYI Dates are numbers and when you type them they will right align. Text will always automatically left align in the cell ( if you don't change that manually of course)
    Thank you... now I see why it didn't work, I added an additional zero it didn't need to the date "code" (since they are numbers, not actual dates).
    I'm so used to typing dates in "mm/dd/yyyy" format for work... force of habit.

Thanks you both for your help and advise! I'll be coming to this forum often...