vlookup doesn't seem to apply to what I need ...

mickimouse75

Reaction score
Good day,

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.
I normally use vlookup to retrieve information, and am wondering if its possible to retrieve data from a specific section of an excel sheet without having named ranges, etc.
For eg., I'm trying to use the following formula to retrieve the Account Balance of Account 16605 ($6,836.45) ...
=VLOOKUP("Account Balance*",Sheet1!$AI:$BK,22,FALSE)

Of course, I only get the first instance of "Account Balance*".
Is there a way to insert something into this formula to first find and goto "16605", and then run the vlookup?
File attachedView attachment GL_Detail_Listing.xlsm

Thank you,
Mike

Try this, where cell BM1300 is the cell you type the account number into to look up.

Code:
=INDIRECT("BD"&MATCH("Account Net Change",INDIRECT("AF"&MATCH(" "&BM1300,A:A,0)):AF5000,0)+MATCH(" "&BM1300,A:A,0)+3)

BTW, this will only look at the first 5000 lines of your report. If its longer than that then you'll need to increase the range.

Thank you Beamer this works really great! ... may I make this a bit more challenging (at least for me!)?
I'd like to run this formula from a separate workbook (60507 Fitness Memberships). I'm a novice with the INDIRECT and MATCH functions, and would appreciate any additional assistance provided.
View attachment 60507 Fitness Memberships.xlsm
View attachment GL_Detail_Listing.xlsm

Mike

Try this, where cell BM1300 is the cell you type the account number into to look up.

Code:
=INDIRECT("BD"&MATCH("Account Net Change",INDIRECT("AF"&MATCH(" "&BM1300,A:A,0)):AF5000,0)+MATCH(" "&BM1300,A:A,0)+3)

BTW, this will only look at the first 5000 lines of your report. If its longer than that then you'll need to increase the range.

Hi Micki, it was stubborn but I beat it in the end :D

I hope it works for you.

Attachments

• 60507 Fitness Memberships.xlsm
    23.9 KB · Views: 17
IT WORKS! Thank you so very much!
I'm trying to teach myself INDIRECT and MATCH and INDEX, etc, but this one had be completely confused.
Thank you, thank you!

Mike

Hi Micki, it was stubborn but I beat it in the end :D

I hope it works for you.

Back