Formula not returning correct values

flavatech

Reaction score
Hi all,
I would like a little assistance with a grade sheet that I am currently working on. I have attached the workbook and I have highlighted the area (Blue) in the worksheet named ARRAY from which the formulae is supposed to search. I have changed the colour of the incorrect value that the formulae returns (red) and I have also shown the correct value that the formulae should return Violet/Yellow. I have tried numerous things. I just cant eem to figure out why the formulae stops searching at the incorrect value. Any assistance will be appreciated.View attachment flava 60-40 Degree Grade Sheet Redesigned December 2014.xls

Hi, try changing the M$3: to N$3:

i.e. =VLOOKUP(M14,ARRAY!N$3:W$11,HLOOKUP(T14,ARRAY!O$1:W$2,2,FALSE))

Hi, try changing the M$3: to N$3:

i.e. =VLOOKUP(M14,ARRAY!N$3:W$11,HLOOKUP(T14,ARRAY!O$1:W$2,2,FALSE))

Thanks, that returns a C+, however, according to the blue grid in the array I should be getting a c-. Any other tips are welcome.

Ok, I found 2 things.
Firstly your numbers for the Hlookup need to advance by 1 since column N is the 1st column of the vlookup and column W is the 10th. (i.e. A to E need to be 2 to 10, not 1 to 9)
Secondly you need to add another False qualifier for the Vlookup as well as the Hlookup.

i.e. =VLOOKUP(M14,ARRAY!N$3:W$11,HLOOKUP(T14,ARRAY!O$1:W$2,2,FALSE),FALSE)

Hopefully that should get you up and running :)

Ok, I found 2 things.
Firstly your numbers for the Hlookup need to advance by 1 since column N is the 1st column of the vlookup and column W is the 10th. (i.e. A to E need to be 2 to 10, not 1 to 9)
Secondly you need to add another False qualifier for the Vlookup as well as the Hlookup.

i.e. =VLOOKUP(M14,ARRAY!N$3:W$11,HLOOKUP(T14,ARRAY!O$1:W$2,2,FALSE),FALSE)

Hopefully that should get you up and running :)
Thanks. That works for that particular set of grades, however it does not work for others. puzzling.... The grid below shows what the sheet should achieve. Vertical = exam Horizontal = Coursework. B exam and A coursework should give a B+ but it is returning a B. In essence what I am trying to achieve, is that for whatever set of grades are achieved in the 60-40 grade sheet template, the formulae should search the array table and return the resultant wherever the two intersect. Appreciated. I have learnt a lot o far. Never knew about the second false argument.

AB+BB-C+CC-DE
1AAAB+B+BBBB-C+
2B+B+B+B+BBB-B-B-C+
3BB+BBBB-B-C+C+C
4B-BBB-B-B-C+C+CC
5C+BB-B-C+C+C+CCC-
6CB-B-C+C+CCCC-D
7C-C+C+C+CCC-C-C-E
8DC+CCCC-DDDE
9EDDDDEEEEE

I can't find an issue, if you changed all three things I pointed out, it seems to always give the right result.
I'll attach my copy just incase you have a typo somewhere.
I've added a few cells to the Array sheet just for testing purposes to imitate Cells M14,T14, & AC14 on the 2nd sheet.

Edit: Actually I noticed in your grid above that the horizontal numbers still aren't fixed.

Attachments

• flava 60-40 Degree Grade Sheet Redesigned December 2014.xls
    220.5 KB · Views: 7
I can't find an issue, if you changed all three things I pointed out, it seems to always give the right result.
I'll attach my copy just incase you have a typo somewhere.
I've added a few cells to the Array sheet just for testing purposes to imitate Cells M14,T14, & AC14 on the 2nd sheet.

Edit: Actually I noticed in your grid above that the horizontal numbers still aren't fixed.

Thanks bro seems to be working fine now.

Back