Thread: Help with vlookup and making the column index fill in a "series"

Help with vlookup and making the column index fill in a "series"

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

This is my first post so I apologize If I'm not posting this question in the proper discussion forum or breaking etiquette.

I'm using vlookup to keep track of the percentage of a selected company. the problem Im having is when I copy the formula from column A to column B the column index # does not fill in a series. Is their an easy way to do this other than manually typing in the new column index number for every column i copy my formulas into?

On a side note if there is a totally different formula I should be using I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Screen shot.pdf

Just to clarify I took a screen shot to show what I mean. In cell j3 I have set up a drop down list. I want to be able to select the company, and have each percentage update in row 3(the red row). The thing that makes this formula more complicated is that projects can go on for years, so people will have to add new columns all the time. When I add a new column and copy the formatting over, the index column will does not change. I need this to change without manually entering a new column index. is there a way I can do this or is it just a pipe dream?

here is the page from the workbook I'm trying to make work. I've been hitting my head my desk now for way too long with this, so if anyone has any advice please let me know!
    Attached Files Attached Files

never mind, I have found a formula that works. In case your curious what it was:

=INDEX(L5:L25,MATCH($J$3,$J5:$J25))