Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Date and time

Date and time

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

that.

First off Thank you for your help, no matter how much or little.

Let me tell you what my project is about in a nut shell. I take measurements from 15 water tanks every time I pull water out. The measurement is in feet and inches. The flow/fill rate in each tank is different and that rate in every tank always fluctuates so I am looking for a formula that can adjust with that fluctuation. I pull 4 or 5 feet of water at one time from each tank.

I want my spreadsheet to calculate the flow/fill rate based on the measurements from the previous pull to the pull I'm about to do. ie...I pulled the tank down to 1'6" at 12:00 pm 10/31/14. Now the tank is 5'6" at 2:00 pm 11/01/14. So the tank filled 4' in 14 hrs. I know how to do the math on paper to figure out the flow/fill rate. My problem is working with dates and times in excel. I've figured out now() and today() but I'm baffled on putting a static current time and date in a cell, something that I'm thinking should be easy.

This is what I have working so far. I have a formula that converts ie. 2'3" into 27 (inches). I have a formula that subtracts 4' or 5' from the measurement I take before I pull a load; what is remaining in the tank. This uses a cell that I put how much I will pull and the cell that contains the ' " converted into inches (the 27 in this ie). I have it layed out to where there are 2 column sections, one will have the previous date/time and measurements and the other is where I put the new info. That means every time I will put the new info in where the previous info was. I'm guessing that might be problematic with the formulas.

So here are 3 things that I would like help with. They are listed in order of importance. First, what formula will give me the number of hours between the previous date/time I took measurements and the current date/time I'm taking them. Will I have to enter the date/time in a specific format? That question leads into the second thing I need help with. How can I have excel automatically put the current date/time in a specific cell when I put my first measurement into a different cell?
    And the last thing I need help with is more of a curiosity question. Is there a way for Excel to keep a log of all the previous flow/fill rate and use that info over time to get a more accurate over time.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my problem. It was a long read and I'm sorry for that. Extra Thanks to those of you who helped.

It would be better if you could post a workbook with some sample data and a few worked examples, should be straight-forward then.

Yeah I prob should have in the first place. I'm looking for a place to upload the xls now. Also let me say I'm doing all this from my phone and I'm using polaris office for the spreadsheet. So vba or anything outside of formulas as far as I know would be unusable.

here it is I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Phillips View Post
    It would be better if you could post a workbook with some sample data and a few worked examples, should be straight-forward then.
    Here is the file I'm working on. Very crude because I for blocked by date and time.

www 4shared com

/file/EqdQvXyiba/North_oil_field_3.html

I hope that works.

Sorry for how crude that link is. I'm new here and don't yet have the 5 posts required to be able to put a link in a post.

Wow do not go to that link. 4shared is awful. They just want to sell stuff. I'm so sorry for this. I'm new at it. Please forgive me. I'll look for another place.

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 2010 64bit
    Why not post your workbook here?
    When replying to thread, use the go advanced button then scroll down and click manage attachments.

the link finally

Ok I found it. I had to go to fill site from mobile version. The manage attachment option was not in mobile site. But for what is worth here it is.

OK well I uploaded the files to here but I cam drag and drop them worth the browser app on my phone. I hope the link in my other post works
    Attached Files Attached Files

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 2010 64bit
    Can you explain how you use this spreadsheet?
    What you enter, where, when and why?
    What you expect as a result of what you enter, where and why you expect it?
    Where and what would be entered next pull and where and what you expect to happen then?

As for a static date and time, seems the only way without VBA would be to enter this in the cell
    Ctrl + ; then a Space then Ctrl + Shift + ;

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast