Thread: Two-step queries, I think a macro is required here

Two-step queries, I think a macro is required here

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

First off, I just want to say as a new member how much a site like this helps guys like me learn. I've never posted before, usually able to find what I need on my own-but this time I'm not even sure how to phrase my question precisely enough to get search results so here goes:

I have column '1' on a worksheet 'A' that has A list of Process steps. Those steps are associated with a department, listed in column '2' on worksheet 'B'. Then each one of those departments has a list of people in column '3' on worksheet 'B'. What I want to do is return names of all the people associated with the Process steps in column '1' on worksheet 'A' into cell X, with commas in between each name.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Question.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	2721

So to simplify: Let's say I have three columns. Column A has Process Steps. Column B has the Department the steps are assigned to, and Column C has the members of the department. (These are actually on 3 different worksheets, but if I can get started with the method, I can alter the reference locations later.) What I want to do is have another column , "D" display the members of the department based on the Column A values. Does that help? Basically, I need to return the members of the department based on the Process Steps.

I would very much appreciate a little assistance, point in the right direction, anything anyone could help me with--this one is making my head hurt.

All of the processes look unique to me, so there will only be one person per process per department.

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365
    I suspect that the sheet was shortened for this example so it would not be a 1 to 1 and my head hurts trying to understand exactly what is required :-)

Lets say the Process was attending meetings (col A)
    All depts can attend the meeting (col B) and
    All people can attend the meeting (col C)
    Now he want's a list of who attended the meeting

Simple task for a pivot table
    Row fields: Dept, Person
    Column field: Process
    Value: Count of person

However I equally suspect that Fyreflyre could be after linked validations
    so Column A, choose a Process,
    Column B, Which Departments are assigned to that process and
    Column C, Who can be assigned to that
    If this is what is required check out http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html#Apply

Quote Originally Posted by WizzardOfOz View Post
    I suspect that the sheet was shortened for this example so it would not be a 1 to 1 and my head hurts trying to understand exactly what is required :-)
    Maybe, but if the OP wants some help, they need to explain the problem properly, given sensible and meaningful data, preferably before and after, and preferably provide a workbook and not expect us to recreate it from a picture. Self-service help- requests.

After posted some 50-75,000 question responses in my time, I get a bit fed up of the lack of information in OP requests, and sometimes cannot be bothered to spell out good etiquette to them.

Apologies

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Phillips View Post
    Maybe, but if the OP wants some help, they need to explain the problem properly, given sensible and meaningful data, preferably before and after, and preferably provide a workbook and not expect us to recreate it from a picture. Self-service help- requests.

After posted some 50-75,000 question responses in my time, I get a bit fed up of the lack of information in OP requests, and sometimes cannot be bothered to spell out good etiquette to them.

I certainly apologize if I offended you. It was a bit confusing. I've never posted for help before, and can usually find what I need on my own. I'm sorry I didn't explain it better or follow an etiquette that I wasn't aware of. The problem has been resolved, though--I appreciate you both taking a look. Wizard, the article you sent was great--I'm sure I'll make use of it in the future, thanks very much!