Cell reference not working

mitchella87

Reaction score
I am using a simple cell reference formula to pull data from one worksheet (same file) to another. Rather than giving me the info from that cell, it is simply returning the reference I am typing.

On worksheet "Code Lookup" I'm typing =Unclosed!A1. I'm actually typing the = sign, and then navigating to the Unclosed tab and clicking on cell A1. It is returning =Unclosed!A1. The info in cell A1 is '00002020.

I've tried changing the cell formats in both places to text, general, numbers... I've used this exact same type of reference formula throughout the document with no problem.

Thanks,Andy

I think you accidentally hit the "Show Formulas" menu
in 2010 the Menu is: Formulas, "Formula Auditing", "Show Formulas" (Next to Trace Precedents)

I think you accidentally hit the "Show Formulas" menu
in 2010 the Menu is: Formulas, "Formula Auditing", "Show Formulas" (Next to Trace Precedents)

Thanks Wizard. I looked into that, and I don't think that is it. None of the other cells in the spreadsheet showed any formulas. I toggled the show formulas on and off, and it didn't change this cell.

I think I figured it out though. I saw someplace else which said to hit F2 and enter. That seemed to work. Thanks again.

Back