Drop down List "sorting"

katkth7533

Reaction score
Good morning! I have a question about drop down lists. I have set up Data Validation for a few cells that are for a drop down list. When the user goes into one of these cells, they see the arrow to access the drop-down list. My problem is that when they "open" this drop-down list, is is at the end of the list, not the top (an alphabetical list of choices). I want the user to be at the top (starting with the "A" options) of the list when enabling the arrow, not the bottom of the list. Any suggestion on how to do this? It seems simple but nothing is working right now. Thanks

Is there already a pre-selected choice in the data validation when the user goes to those cells?

Yes and there are also blank (empty) lines so new values can be added and that is what is happening - the drop down goes to the end of the list where there are blanks. The list that the drop down is from is a data entry table that may be updated with new entries of choices if necessary. I added a macro button to re-sort the table alphabetically after new entries are added. I'd like the drop down to go to the top of the list rather than the end where the blanks are.

I think the data validation is automatically going to the first blank in the list that it finds. I am not sure that you can avoid that unless maybe you add a blank to the top of your list.

EDIT:

If you convert your list to a Dynamic Named Range so that the blanks at the bottom aren't included, then that should fix it too.

Last edited:
Back