Career after Excel

Karthik

Reaction score
Hi Excelites

I love this Excel. Just joined the forum.

need your advice. what career can I take after excel. I have been working in Excel past 3 to 4 years. it has been very interesting and absolutely love the adventure it gave me. Now, I feel to do more with the Data. Thus, on a cross road again!!

Which field do you guys think I can take, maybe in IT, which would be highly rewarding salary wise. Love playing with the data.

Please advise.

First off, WELCOME! It is rare to find someone who actually likes to work in Excel. Most fear it and shy away from it. I can tell you my little story if it helps, that and give you another route you may love. My little adventure, I ended up crunching numbers in inventory for a large company monitoring their inventory numbers. After that, became a Whse Administrator where I created many new Excel books. I had the need to dig, so kept trying to find new ways to do so. In the end, IT slapped my hand one too many times, and am now in IT working in Self Service Business Intelligence where I help others create and work in Excel. It is a dream job, I can tell you that. If you would like to explore a REAL life changing opportunity and are willing to learn a lot of info, look up Data Scientist. It is actually kind of what I am striving for as well…

Mike has essentially said what I was going to say. If you like Excel, and you like data, data analysis, and particularly BI, is the field I would recommend you going into. Look into MS' Power BI offering, look into Tableau and R. I am quite surprised that Mike has been able to find career in self-service BI, I am still struggling to convince companies here that this is the way to go, but I am convinced it is the future.

BTW, if you do lookup up Data Scientist and you find out what it means, do let me know, as I find it one of the most meaningless handles I have ever heard. Just like the term Big Data, it seems to mean whatever the person spouting it wants/thinks it means.

Too true sir, and do not think any others could give you a solid answer either. In the end, is it not just an individual who can mine and extract data in just about any form? Regardless of a college degree or current position? Or is that better left to person who is actually going to pay that 150K to 250K a year? I think no matter what the need may be for this type of individual, I would bet that Excel would be one of the most used tools of that trade, BI or other.

What ever the route, I am sure I speak for both of us when I say good luck on your choice Karthik. And do take Bob's advice on options as well, Tableau is a very interesting program, and has great people at thier company and solid support. R is another very interesting thing to learn, many different usages (would you beleive you can query hundreds of workbooks to find a single result out of all?)

My thoughts Mike were that Power BI is an interesting concept, Power Pivot is a great data aggregator, Power Query really impresses me as an ETL and much more, but Power View and Power Map leave me a bit cold. Whilst Tableau is very expensive, it does a far better job than Power View and Power Map, so that is the ideal solution in my view. R is something I used many years ago, but it has come on a long way, and Jen Stirrup does a great presentation on using R with Excel for Data Analysis.

And I agree, Excel has been the best BI tool on the market for years, and I don't see anything better all round.

Thanks. Great advice. Researching on what you said.

Back