Validation List

kyle

Reaction score
Hi All

If you look at the attached spreadsheet
I have created a basic validation list.

The first cell i have created a drop down list with a title of Pick a Subject
The cell next to it is titled Corresponding List

What i would like to do is be able to pick a subject in the first list which i have created from a validation list in sheet 2 (this has already been done)

my question now is once i select my list how can i create another validation list from the subject i have chosen and then appear under the title of corresponding list

Sorry if this question has been asked, but i am new to this and trying to get a better understanding of how all this works and the terminology used to do certain task

Much appreciated for your help in advance

Regards
Kyle

View attachment validation list.xlsx

Hi All

If you look at the attached spreadsheet
I have created a basic validation list.

The first cell i have created a drop down list with a title of Pick a Subject
The cell next to it is titled Corresponding List

What i would like to do is be able to pick a subject in the first list which i have created from a validation list in sheet 2 (this has already been done)

my question now is once i select my list how can i create another validation list from the subject i have chosen and then appear under the title of corresponding list

Sorry if this question has been asked, but i am new to this and trying to get a better understanding of how all this works and the terminology used to do certain task

Much appreciated for your help in advance

Regards
Kyle

View attachment 2401
Hi Kyle,

You would need to name the range (assign a name to the range). You can do this by selecting the range (e.g. C5:C9 for the cars) and typing Cars in the textbox just bellow the ribbons on the left side corner of Excel (currently has C5 on it). Do the same on the rest of the list.

Next, on the Data Validation page, you can use the formula =Indirect($A$6) as source of the list.

This will create a dropdown list in the "Corresponding List" based on what you select in "Pick a Subject" side.

See attached file for your reference.

Regards,
PeterView attachment validation list.xlsx

Hi there

In this First you need to define name range then you need creat a list and use indirect function.

I have attached an excel file for it.

Please let me know if you need any clearification

Attachments

• validation list.xlsx
    9.3 KB · Views: 17
The help of people never ceases to amaze me, thank you both for showing me how in 2 different ways on how it works.
Thank you again much appreicated

Different? They look identical to me.

Back