Thread: Attendance calendar Q#1: Populating a column with data based on dropdown choice

Attendance calendar Q#1: Populating a column with data based on dropdown choice

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

This may well be a question that appears elsewhere, but I have not found it.

I have figured out how to create a drop-down list with the classes at my school listed in it, drawing this data from a list elsewhere.

Now I want to grab the students in the particular class selected and have them appear in the column below the drop-down. I have placed the student list in another sheet, in a column headed by the class title; perhaps there is a better way to do this (see Q#2 also).

Can anyone help me do this, please? I work for an international school that is a registered UK charity, so you're helping out a worthy cause. :-)

More questions to follow, I suppose in separate threads.

Thank you!

-Adam-

You need to tell us how the classes/students data is stored so we can help.

For instance is it tabular, like

Class A Class B Class C
    Bill Joe Laura
    Joe Laura Malcolm
    Laura Malcolm Melanie
    Pete Stuart Toni
    etc.

or a list, like

Class Student
    Class A Bill
    Class A Joe
    Class A Laura
    Class A Pete
    Class B Joe
    Class B Laura
    etc.

Any chance of posting the workbook?

[QUOTE=Bob Phillips;13107]You need to tell us how the classes/students data is stored so we can help.

I am attaching an image of the sheet with the student information. In the image the items ("services") under the weekdays are selected via pulldown menu from a named list called ServiceList (on another sheet). Let me know if you need to know more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	database of students sample.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	2362

When you say to post the workbook, do you mean just put the .xls file up here? I suppose I can do this if so.

-Adam-