Moving past VBA

Jesse

Reaction score
I've been using VBA for a couple of years now but want to get more serious and move to Visual Studio for developing my Excel solutions and perhaps onward from there.

Advice, should I stick with VB or should I bite the bullet and learn C before investing to heavily in VB?

Jesse

Jesse,
VB and C# are quite similar in .NET, i.e VB is a full member of the .NET platform. I cannot see any reason that force You to learn C#. The only major difference between them is that C# can be more used for advanced plumbing. If You use an earlier version of VS then 2010 then VB is the preferable language to use as with C# You must always declare all parameters in Excel's objects/method/properties.

If You have been working with VBA then it will be easier to port the code to VB then to C#.

Thanks Dennis. Do you have a quick example of what sort of things would require C#?

Thanks Roy, I hadn't seen Excel DNA before, I'm going to check it out for sure.

Jesse

Hey Guys,

My main site, ExcelKB, is at present empty, some of its contest can be found at MSDN (VBA) and all the Lotus / Excel material can be found at Ron de Bruin site. But all my VB.NET material is on a local drive.

Instead of pointing to some code pages I think its good to start with the following article at WikiPedia: Comparison of C Sharp and Visual Basic.NET

Thanks Dennis, this article is excellent. Exactly what I needed.

Jesse

Jesse, be aware, at present Reporting Services only talks VB.

Jesse, another thing to be aware of. Once you start fooling around in Visual Studio you're going to learn just how far behind Excel's development environment really is. :(

Thanks Ken, I consider myself warned :)

Thanks all for the advice, I think I'm going to jump into Visual Studio via C#.

Jesse

I've been using VBA for a couple of years now but want to get more serious and move to Visual Studio for developing my Excel solutions and perhaps onward from there.

Advice, should I stick with VB or should I bite the bullet and learn C before investing to heavily in VB?

Jesse

No need to study C for VBA. But a better optionis to study C#. Because nowadays most old VB projects are mving to C# and C# is getting very popularity recently. You can do anything C# like in VBA .

ling.

I disagree about C#:

# Microsoft treat both C# and VB.NET equally so there is no difference

# Books about each language is also nearly a 50/50 situation

# VB.NET is not the successor of VB, it's a 100 % NET language

If You still insist I would like to see a reference to any officially source that shows explicit that C# is more popular.

Back