Thread: Excel formula

Excel formula

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

I have a database and want to populate data into cells from another sheet in the same database in excel, any suggestion how I go about this?

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 2016
    You are going to have to elaborate on that....

What are the conditions, if any? Why are you doing this? etc.... maybe some samples?

I have a file that contains data on another sheet on the same database and want to be able to populate cells from the other sheet into the sheet am working on using like a drop down. I have tried data validation but I dont think it is what I need. Looking at it, I think Hlookup is what I need as the information is in horizontal rows

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 2016
    You might be right, but if you can post a small sample file (no confidential data), then it would be easier to give you the correct solution.

Date of Review: 24/03/2014 Risk Assurance Manager: Locked to a list of RAMs Overall Result: Locked to a Pass or Fail
    Branch Number: Look up to the branch list Branch Manager: freetext Area Manager: Look up to the branch list Regional Manager: Look up to the branch list
    Date of Last Review: locked to date format Result of Last Review: Locked to a Pass or Fail Last Risk Assurance Manager: Locked to a list of RAMs

Many thanks for taking time to reply me. The above is the file I am working on, what I am looking to do is in the cell opposite Risk Assurance Manager (Locked to a list of Rams), I want to lock this cell to a list of Rams that is in another sheet on this same database. It is a list of names and I want a situation where by anytime this cell is clicked on, it would give me a list of the names on the other sheet where the original information is located.
    I hope the above is a bit clearer?
    Kindest regards

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 2016
    Create Named Ranges for each of these Drop down lists..

For Example, select the list of RAM members, then in the Name Box just to the left of the Formula Bar (or go to Formulas tab, then Define Name) and enter a name for the range; e.g. RAM

Then in the cell on the front page, go to Data Validation, select List and enter formula: =RAM

You should now be able to select from a drop down menu.