Thread: Excel 2010 Date formats

Excel 2010 Date formats

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

I've been using Excel a long time thru different versions. When I copy data from an outside source which contains a date column and paste it into a new workbook, I sometimes want to change their date format to one I want. However, some rows stay in a format I don't want. So I go and select the entire column again, go into Format Cells, Date and try and change the format to anything different, just in the hope that ALL the rows will change, whereupon I hope to be able to go back, and because they ALL changed that time, they will all change NOW when I try and get the column to format the way I want.

What the bleep gives?

Fraser

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 2016
    Try using Data|Text to Columns instead. Click Next twice to get to 3rd dialogue of the wizard. Then select the Date format from the drop down menu in the Column Data Format section, then click Finish.

Thanks for trying to help

Quote Originally Posted by NBVC View Post
    Try using Data|Text to Columns instead. Click Next twice to get to 3rd dialogue of the wizard. Then select the Date format from the drop down menu in the Column Data Format section, then click Finish.

Was aware of that trick. Had already tried and it didn't work.

When I do that(or try any of the other formats, PART of the column switched, the rest didn't.)

The entire column WILL change...just not all to any ONE format.

Column is far too long to accept the dates that are "correct" then hand do the wrong ones in a separate column, then copy the entire new column, then save the same separate column as values. And copy, paste the new, spare date column, over top of the driving me crazy column.

Thanks for trying.