sales projection and net sales program

There's a difference between storing and displaying. I build my budgets a year in advance, and I'm assuming that your forecasts will be done in advance as well. In this way, if you want to build JUST a forecast, you can do it easily, or JUST an actual statement as well. We can also use a query to pull them together to display them however we want.

So basically the tables are more targeted which allows better focus and more robust use of your data.

Can you please elaborate on that?

I'm trying different things in Excel, but kinda of messed up, so I'm watching some of Mike's videos. If I get something decent done, I'll post it.

Can you please elaborate on that?

I'm trying different things in Excel, but kinda of messed up, so I'm watching some of Mike's videos. If I get something decent done, I'll post it.

Since I cannot edit my above post, I'm writing here.

What is the best way, to table design, for data input?

Sorry ultra99, I've been away for a week.

When we store data in tables, we store the data in a pretty raw form that only holds the critical information we need, and we try to make sure that we have as few elements repeat as possible. (This is called normilization.)

For example:
Table 1: Date, Vendor Number, Invoice Number, Amount
Table 2: Vendor Number, Vendor Name, Vendor Address

(We don't need to repeat the vendor name and address for each invoice.)

When we display the info, however, we might write up a query that pulls all the information together so that we can see it all in a form as follows:
Query 1: Vendor Name, Date, Invoice Number, Amount

(Notice that the Vendor Number is not displayed in this case, and nor is the address.)

It might be a good idea to get a brief understanding of database normalization before you continue on. I had a quick search for an article, and I think this one should help: http://www.phlonx.com/resources/nf3/

Whether you're doing VLOOKUPS, Database storage or PowerPivot diagrams, this is important stuff to understand about how data relates.

Hope this helps,

Back