I'm Getting different results using the same formula

Trident50

Reaction score
Hello,

I don't know Excel that well and found a formula online that someone posted, to do exactly what I need which is - I have a separate list of names with email addresses. Is there a way for me to do some sort of lookup function to get the email addresses pulled from the one list and put to the corresponding names on the other list. I need it to check for both first and last names due to the fact that I have a lot of duplicate last names.

The formula that someone posted is:

=INDEX(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$14388,MATCH(1,INDEX((Sheet2!$A$2:$A$14388=A2)*(Sheet2!$B$2:$B$14388=B2),0),0))

Sheet 1 has 7908 lines and sheet 2 has 14388.

When I do the "copy down" I get different results each time. Sometimes it will not import any email addresses. If I "clear the content", removing the formula, and the paste it into place, exactly the same way, it sometimes imports some email addresses - but always towards the bottom of the sheet - even though there are exact matches at the beginning of the sheet, and all throughout.

Can anyone tell me how that can be when nothing at all has been changed? And why it's not picking up all the matches, but just a few? And - is there a better way to do this? ;)

Thanks for any help!!!
Rob

You have the sample workbook you've workin' on? try to upload it at the forum, so thats can attract the solver to see your post...

Cheers

Back