Thread: Updating a cell from a table entry

Updating a cell from a table entry

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Hello,

First time poster so I hope this is in the right spot and I can explain it. I'm trying to track the number of hrs I put on an airplane before it requires an inspection. I've built a table to track the total number of hours I fly. What I am trying to do is create a cell, it doesn't have to be in a table, that updates the time remaining to the inspection.

Example: The inspection is due at 100hrs. In my last table entry I've flown 50hrs, so the time remaining cell would say 50. If I add a new row to the table adding 5 more hours, I want the time remaining cell to automatically updated to 45hrs remaining. I know the basics of formulas, I just don't how to get the formula to reference an added table row. Is that possible,

Thank you very much for any help

Charles

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 2016
    If you convert your table into an Excel table, i.e. select a cell in the table, then go to Insert|Table then click Ok.

Then add a formula outside the table, like =100-SUM(Table1[Hours]) where Table1 is the table you created and hours is the name of the column with the hours you want to cumulatively deduct. You can also replace the 100 with a cell referencing the initial set hours.