Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: incrementing in cell

incrementing in cell

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

I have two numbers. if one goes up I want the other one to go up. If the first one goes down I want the second one to stay where it is. I cannot figure out how to do this please help me.

Articles
    Excel Version
    In what way are changes made to these numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Hercules1946 View Post
    In what way are changes made to these numbers?
    Thanks for looking at my problem.
    The data in one cell comes from a stream provided by my broker. That data is the current price of a stock that I have selected. This is the ask price.
    The second cell is the data that I want to send back to the broker. This my sell price. When the ask price stops going up and starts to go down I then want
    to send the sell price to the broker. All of that is worked out except for the ask price, sell price interaction. I sure hope you can help me.

Articles
    Excel Version
    Have you cross posted this on other sites?

Have you cross posted this on other sites?
    I originally posted on another site but when there was no response I thought I would try this site. Did I do something wrong?

Articles
    Excel Version
    Not provided that you post links to all the other sites. Generally respondents are reluctant to work on this kind task when other websites are involved from the outset. For example I recently spent two full days working on a task involving business mergers and takeovers keeping the poster advised all the way, but he only came back after Id completed telling me he'd had a solution for a few days!
    Your welcome to take a look if you like.

http://www.excelguru.ca/forums/showt...n-huge-dataset

Wow I see your point. I don't want to exercise anyone. I am 80 yrs old and retired from 25yrs in R&D on computer hard drives. This is to supplement my pension. If you are not able to help me what should I do?

Articles
    Excel Version
    Based on what you have said, I would lean towards using Index/Match or Vlookup functions. My inital thoughts are you need three sets of tables
    1) Your existing data
    2) updated data
    3) rebuild of existing data
    Then you lookup new information in 2) relating to 1) and decide whether or not to change 1) based on comparing the values, or just copy across to 3). Thats a very "rough
    and ready" assessment but it might give you somewhere to start.

Best of luck

Based on what you have said, I would lean towards using Index/Match or Vlookup functions. My inital thoughts are you need three sets of tables
    1) Your existing data
    2) updated data
    3) rebuild of existing data
    Then you lookup new information in 2) relating to 1) and decide whether or not to change 1) based on comparing the values, or just copy across to 3). Thats a very "rough
    and ready" assessment but it might give you somewhere to start.

Best of luck
    Thanks for the advice. I started as you said and stumbled at the just copy across to 3. I am trying to make this an automatic process with out keyboard input. Is this possible?

Articles
    Excel Version
    Quote Originally Posted by wa6aik View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I started as you said and stumbled at the just copy across to 3. I am trying to make this an automatic process with out keyboard input. Is this possible?
    I didn't envisage using the keyboard apart from setting up formulae. I was thinking that you would have existing, Updated and Rebuild as 3 tables. The rebuild formula would either stick with existing, or accept the update
    figure depending on which way the value had moved.
    It was the stick with existing that I was referring to as "Copy Across" but doing it via the formula.
    Last edited by Hercules1946; 2013-12-16 at 06:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast