Transportation problem, linear programming and Solver

GregDP

Reaction score
I am working on a transportation model in which I have to choose the best location for a new factory that minimizes transportation costs with 3 warehouses. I currently have 2 factories, and I want to choose the location for a third factory between 3 alternatives.

I have been able to solve this problem by analyzing each of the 3 possible locations separately (therefore, creating linear programming models with the 2 old factories + a new one), and then comparing the minimum costs that I would incur in each of these three cases.

I've been trying to integrate these three steps into one, so that I would have to run Solver only one time and it would give me the best possible location among the 3 choices, but so far I've been unsuccessful. Would it be possible to achieve this in one step?

And more specifically, could I achieve it while still keeping it as a linear programming problem?

Sorry about that. Here are the links.

excelforum.com/excel-general/973634-transportation-model-linear-programming-and-solver.html#post3502432
mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/743655-transportation-problem-linear-programming-solver.html
forum.chandoo.org/threads/transportation-model-linear-programming-and-solver.13741/
ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184613
excelfox.com/forum/f2/transportation-model-linear-programming-and-solver-1604/#post7493

Back