Thread: Beginner's question on best way to sort/ filter ...use pivot table/ formula/ conditio

Beginner's question on best way to sort/ filter ...use pivot table/ formula/ conditio

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Hi
    I think this is probably an easy question but I'm relatively new to Excel and I'm not sure which option to investigate as the best possible solution. I suspect there are many ways to skin this particular cat.

The reason I am posting is because I'd like an 'elegant' and easy answer. I have been able to sort and filter manually quite easily but there must be a more elegant way; one that I can give my boss and not have to spend an hour explaining how he must use it!

I have a list of questions (column A) and various answers (true or false) by various companies in columns B to infinity. I want to select all companies that have answered YES to selected questions, e.g. Rows 4, 5, 9 and 12.

Should I be using advanced filtering, pivot tables, conditional formatting or something else? I need to be able to make repeated queries; it's not a once-off report.

Question, Company A, Company B, Company C, Cmpany D
    Do you floss?, Y, Y, Y, Y
    Are you green?, N, Y, Y, N
    Do you have email?, Y, N, N, Y

In the above example, only Company A and Company D columns and rows 1 and 3 would be displayed.

Thanks in advance!

Articles
    Excel Version
    Cross-posted here.

Welcome to the forum, but please do take a moment to read the rules, especially the one about how to cross-post politely.
    Circumference of a circle = 2πr²

²the circle's radius