Vlookup partial matching for cell content (text)

cross

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been trying to search for answers to this for some time but can't quite find the exact solution. I've seen other suggestions on the internet that many replied working well, but I just couldn't get it working.

Maybe I'm missing some simple steps but would appreciate all the help I can get.

I'm trying to lookup the cell in column A in "Data" sheet, to see if the cell contains value indicated in column A in "Keyword" sheet, if so, return the value stated in column B in "Keyword" sheet.

After I've solved that, I would adjust the formula so that if it can't match anything, return "Unknown" rather than returning an error. (obviously i haven't got to that part yet............)

Attached is the sample.

Thanks in advance!
View attachment Vlookup partial text in cell.xlsx

Solved!

as I continued to search on the internet over the past few hours I think i've found the solution to this, thanks to the reference from: www (dot) mrexcel (dot) com/forum/excel-questions/429968-vlookup-string-text-2.html
*sorry, cant post URL as my forum level is too low*

The formula I use (in cell B2) is:
=IFERROR((LOOKUP(1E+100,SEARCH(Keywords!$A$2:$A$38,A2),Keywords!$B$2:$B$38)),"Unknown category")

Hi all,
I've been trying to search for answers to this for some time but can't quite find the exact solution. I've seen other suggestions on the internet that many replied working well, but I just couldn't get it working.

Maybe I'm missing some simple steps but would appreciate all the help I can get.

I'm trying to lookup the cell in column A in "Data" sheet, to see if the cell contains value indicated in column A in "Keyword" sheet, if so, return the value stated in column B in "Keyword" sheet.

After I've solved that, I would adjust the formula so that if it can't match anything, return "Unknown" rather than returning an error. (obviously i haven't got to that part yet............)

Attached is the sample.

Thanks in advance!
View attachment 1857

Last edited:
Back