How can I sort thete numbers?

skyline69

Reaction score
I would like to be able to filter the attached numbers differently than what the numbers filter offers. I would like to be able to sort a group of numbers like in 3's or 4's. Is this possible? Not to complicate things it would be nice to be able to find an exact match. I have added a column F and notes under I and J. I have tried and tried several things but can not seem to find something that works. I appreciate any incite you may have

Thanks

Attachments

• Filter excel fourm.xlsx
    9.6 KB · Views: 19
Hello and welcome to the forum. It might be me, but I can't understand what your wanting to do. The numbers you provide don't seem to be in any order, and the rows and columns you mention dont seem to fit your examples.
Can you explain in a bit more detail, and show a more detailed example of how the data is arranged before and after you have processed it.

Just a further thought. If its possible to create a grid pattern of cells and place in it the arrangement of numbers you want to search for, it would be possible to search for this grid pattern in sets of columns of the same cell width.

Is this anywhere close to what your trying to do ?

Hope this example helps

Just a further thought. If its possible to create a grid pattern of cells and place in it the arrangement of numbers you want to search for, it would be possible to search for this grid pattern in sets of columns of the same cell width.

Is this anywhere close to what your trying to do ?
That may do it but lease remember I am green (a newbie)

This is exactly how it looks on my sheets:

I do have two other columns that have a location and number in series like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,etc.... I want to be able to sort say all of the
throughout all my rows. I have 62,000 rows now but will have well over 300,000 rows of information by the time I am through. I am trying to save time and right now it is taking forever to locate the information. I hope this helps

Hmm. Okay? I have am excel sheet full of the above numbers in two columns In the example the 8 and 4 is in 1 column and the 10 and 2 in the other column. Some rows are blank. I want to be able to find all the say combinations as in the example. Only find the way it looks with those numbers i want to sort. In the above example lets say i want to search all the rows for ONLY the 6 and 8 in the right column or the 2,10 with the 6,8. It will look EXACTLY as in the examples

Does this make better sense?

Nope. Sorry, it still doesn't make sense to me.

Any chance you are using the word "sort" instead of "filter"?

At any rate hope someone will be able to offer assistance.

Good luck.

Hello,

I am not able to provide assistance for this problem, but hopefully I can help the potential helpers (those smarter than me :smile:). If my interpretation is right, he has a huge sequence of numbers and he is trying to find a specific combination within this sequence (perhaps something like trying to find a piece of a DNA strand..??). The problem I see first is that there are blanks all throughout the data. I assume these are important, but they do not appear to occur uniformly. I'm not sure that it is a "sort" or "filter" as much as it is a find. However, I can't think of a place to start with this one. Hope this helps someone.

Best of luck,

Yes you can call it a filter or mining. YES the blanks are very important as it represents a space in my logic. Im basically just trying to find the same group of numbers throughout my speadsheets. The numbers i will be looking for will he different everytime.

Back