Need formula to validate if a word is used on another line within a time frame

gbarnes27

Reaction score
I am createing a spread sheet to go over a list of changes that happen within our data center. Now we have so many changes that different groups are doing that some of them use the same assets. What I need to be able to do is alert if the same asset is bing used more than once in the time frame that the change is happening in.

Column H Column I Column R
Start Time End Time Assets

10/14/2013 23:00 10/15/2013 0600 Server Names

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

The time fields are understandable but what is the cell composition in column R ? Only 1 name in a cell or multiple names separated by comma, semi-colon or something else?

Uploading a workbook with a few rows of data in your mentioned columns would undoubtedly help people offer assistance.

I think I attached the file. Column "H" is the Start Time and Column "I" is the End Time. During that time frame a change can not happen on a asset that is already in a change. Assets are in Column R and have a delimiter of >> between each one.

I hope that helps some. If not let me know :)

thanks for everyones time and comments.

Greg

Attachments

• forum help.xlsx
    71.9 KB · Views: 17
Hello gbarnes27

Thanks for posting that sample spreadsheet.

I've never seen so much stuff in cells. Your cell R7 is 8207 characters long uses ascii character code 187 as the delimiter and holds the names of 550 servers. I don't think that was typed in by hand. Perhaps the source can supply the info you are looking to generate.

At any rate this is well over my head so I wish you good luck and step back to watch for others presenting solutions.

NoS

Hello gbarnes27

Thanks for posting that sample spreadsheet.

I've never seen so much stuff in cells. Your cell R7 is 8207 characters long uses ascii character code 187 as the delimiter and holds the names of 550 servers. I don't think that was typed in by hand. Perhaps the source can supply the info you are looking to generate.

At any rate this is well over my head so I wish you good luck and step back to watch for others presenting solutions.

NoS

Thanks for looking at this. I believe I have figured out a macro that will do all this for me. This is a very complex report that is used my hundreds of people. I want it as simple to read as possible. Thanks again for inquiring.

Greg

Greg, you did post this under formulas as opposed to VBA, but if you do have a macro to do the job it would sure be appreciated if you would post it here so others, like myself, can learn from it.

Thanks
NoS

Back