How to enter data conditionally ?

mrxlsx

Reaction score
Hello all,

Good morning,

I have Sheet1 where I have all expenses/payments, say Fuel, Food, Stores etc.

I have other sheets named i.e. Labor, Food, Stores, Domestic, Health etc.

The moment I enter some payment to hospital and select option1 (drop-down data validation), it should go to Health sheet and sit there. If I enter some payment to Fuel and select option2 (drop-down data validation), it should go to Fuel sheet and sit there. Till some extent I have it done good. But If I edit the options selected in the main sheet, concerned changes are not happening in the relevant sheets. The data behaves static, not changing. I used index/match, v-lookup, look-up functions, but in vain, its not working. Please help. Since I am a new user this forum not allows me to send the file link to show you the exact problem case.

Thank you
mrxlsx

Last edited:
Hello, and welcome to the forum.
It sounds like your control sheet (sheet1?) has form or button controls that have VBA code linked to them selecting the correct data sheet. If so, then the control sheet options can be amended, but how would depend on what changes you need to make. I think that we will need more information, and to see your spreadsheet in order to help you.

I don't think you need many posts to become a regular user (5 or 6) I think.

HTH

Hercules

mrxlsx, you should read this.

The OP supplied a link to problem file here, here and 4 months ago here.

It would seem your request of assistance is pretty much being ignored, often the case with cross-posting, although you did wait 4 months before posting the same question to another forum, unfortunately it was posted to multiple forums.

That being said, I hate to see people having trouble and not getting help.

I can see you are trying to enter/edit data on sheet1 (Main) and have it written/updated to other sheets (Fuel, Food, etc.).
"In words" can you tell us what you are trying to accomplish or what your end goal is, rather than how you are trying to accomplish it?
Perhaps others can suggest better ways.

I think it would also increase the chances of assistance it you were to reduce ALL the sheets in your file to about 10 rows with formulas instead of 1000s (this would substantially reduce the file size) then post it here using -->Reply to Thread --> Go Advanced --> Click the paper clip --> insert the file in the window that pops up.

mrxlsx - Excellent advice from NoS.
Its not an easy task to explain some problems clearly, and if you don't manage this then no matter how many forums you post on, your unlikely to get the right help (if any). :)
If you find the explaining difficult for some reason, ask a friend or business colleague to look at your submission + sample data and see if they understand the problem as you describe it.
Also, don't forget that the recipient knows nothing about what your trying to do, or why!

Hercules

Firstly, Apologies to all. I am extremely sorry for the violation. What I assumed when you say "Avoid cross posting same question in different forums" is forums within the website i.e. with in "Excelguru" there might be many forums dedicated to Excel i.e. Excel General, Excel Formulas, Excel VBA, Excel consutling, Excel Charts etc etc. I do not know that it applies to other websites also which are in the same kind of help forums.

So assuming that, I posted my question to various websites to get variety of solutions for the same problem, thinking that there's no violation of rules of the websites. My intention is not to violate any of the rules of anybody but to get various different solutions for a problem. So I hope you all understand this and forgive me. Thank you.

Coming to the problem, My end goal is to maintain small accounting process where in I post a type of expense and it goes to a specific account with a date. Later I summarize all at the end of some period. It should get edited whenever I change it in the Main sheet.

mrxlsx

mrxlsx, you could take a different approach rather than having a workbook full of formulas.

Have a userform show whenever a cell in column A of the "Main" sheet is entered into or clicked on.
The userforms initialization populate a combo box and text boxes with info from the row of the active cell.
Add or edit the info on the userform.
Write the info back to the "Main" sheet, filter "Main" and write info to the appropriate "type" sheet.

Just a thought.

Hi NoS,

I am open to any solution which solves my task. It looks problematic going the formula way as it is throwing up duplicate entries for a single transaction.
Can you show me what you are talking about?

mrxlsx

Good afternoon,

I'm pretty sure you could go a pure formula route to solve this. What is the limitation on uploading files? A file would be very helpful :smile:. Or if you could provide some example entries.

thanks,

Hi gboree09,

I cannot post the link because I am a new user, however, you can check the above links I cross posted on different forums.
mrxlsx

To upload files, (I think) it has to be at least your 6th post. Other respondents I assume have seen examples on the cross-posted sites.

Hello again,

Can't get to the others because of a firewall. I've made a guess about the format. Hopefully this will at least help conceptually. Basically, I've number each different type of transaction in the "flag" on Sheet1. I've then recalled them in the subsequent tabs that are named the same as the items in question (very important for the current formulas). This is all formula based so it will update automatically and will, therefore, be receptive of future changes.

Best of luck,

Attachments

• Sample.xlsx
    25.9 KB · Views: 17
Hi begoree09

I didn't want to be the one to supply this, but here is what was downloading via link in the cross posts

Attachments

• CondSum.xlsx
    200.4 KB · Views: 17
Good afternoon NoS,

Thanks for the information.

I added the logic to this file.

Hope this helps,

Attachments

• CondSum_sample.xlsx
    281 KB · Views: 17
Hope this helps

Guess we won't know till the OP comes back.

Doesn't help me, I'd do something like this in Access.

Although I do find your formulas intriguing.

Sorry I meant to have a two part reply. I couldn't remember what his user was and I was too lazy to go find it :smile:

Back