Thread: Is a VLOOKUP the right thing to use to get a drop down list to bring in a %

Is a VLOOKUP the right thing to use to get a drop down list to bring in a %

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

I am very new to this and based on what I have read I need to create a VLOOKUP formula to accomplish a task that I THINK should be very easy, but many hours later I'm finding that it isn't easy for me! I think I'm on the right track to make this work but I'm open to any and all suggestions on how to make this work better
    My scenario:
    I have a worksheet that has cells with a drop down box - listed on sheet 2 of my book. When someone selects an item from the drop down box I need a % that is in the cell next to that list to populate in the cell to the right of the drop down box. I then need that % to be applied to a total volume number.

Example

worksheet 1
    Columns
    G H I
    Drop Down Box % Total of I x B5

worksheet 2

Columns
    A B
    Choice ABC 1.5%

Thanks for any help out there!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Good afternoon,

Vlookup is pretty simple. The format is vlookup(value, in a range (the value you want to lookup has to be in the leftmost of this range), the column number of the answer, FALSE (false means sorted I think, but the answer is almost always false...)

Example: in h12 : =VLOOKUP(G12,Sheet2!$D:$E,2,FALSE)

Hope this helps,

NO ,FALSE means that it will search for an exact match only, no sort needed, TRUE means it will look for as per this from the help files

• If range_lookup is either TRUE or is omitted, an exact or approximate match is returned. If an exact match is not found, the next largest value that is less than lookup_value is returned.

Important If range_lookup is either TRUE or is omitted, the values in the first column of table_array must be placed in ascending sort order; otherwise, VLOOKUP might not return the correct value.