Suggestions for getting help, pressing F2, popups and differences between languages

maninweb

Reaction score
Website
excel-translator.de
Excel Version(s)
2010, 2016, 2016 Insider
Hi there...

when you are on the team site and hovering over disabled ribbon entries (a document may
have to be selected), then the F2 key can be used to call the online help. If a popup
blocker (like in IE 9) is active and if the popup blocker settings are configured to not
inform the user (also like a user can do it in IE 9), then, of course, the help window
is not shown.

So, I think, why not add a general button to the ribbon for displaying the help?

The help in English and German also sometimes seems to lead to different contents;
I did not test all cases. I also think, this will surely be implemented later and just
want to mention it here.

When pressing F2 on Excelguru's account, I reach the topic "Learn more about
why ribbon buttons are unavailable". When doing the same from my Beta Account in
German, I get a general help overview. You can test this by replacing in the help link
Lcid=1033 by Lcid=1031 (DE) or Lcid=1036 (FR). (Must be logged in to test).

Regards :)

Totally agree on the help button for the Ribbon. If the popup blocker silently discards it, then it doesn't really help, does it?

I'm not totally surprised on the contents of help going to different contexts. I'm sure that will get fixed up in later versions as well. (Still wouldn't hurt to report it.)

Hi Ken...

...then it doesn't really help, does it?
I agree :)
I'm sure that will get fixed up in later versions as well. (Still wouldn't hurt to report it.)
Yes, I am also thinking, MS will update later the help topics as for example they've done with Excel.

Best regards :)

Back