This is a test post

Ken,

It seems that some settings need to be changed:

In order to start new threads in this forum.

In order to insert a custom picture (unless it related to the number of posts we answer to).

Last edited:
Test reply. ;)

No quick reply box? I am definitely digging the vBuletin 4.0 though!

If you click the big "Reply to Thread" button, the quick reply pops up. I can change that, but it could break threaded mode if anyone uses it... don't know if that's a concern though...

Well I saw the big button! LOL! I'm not sure if either one are of a big concern.

Hi

What's the advantage of Quick Reply?
Why not just have one reply - the Advanced option.
If you need to upload a file to illustrate a point (which is THE great advanaage over the Newsgroups, as an illustration saves the proverbial 1000 words), then it is all there ready to use.
Why would you want to use Quick reply?

Pure and simple laziness. Just less clicks is all. Kind of like how the Ribbon adds perhaps an extra click or two to get where you're going. Just me being picky. I'm just used to it from other forums really is all. :)

It's a good point! I think the only other logical explanation is page loading speed. With vBulletin it isn't the entire page which is changed, it's all done dynamically on the page you're on, so it's much quicker. I think that's the only logical explanation (other than me being lazy) I can come up with! :)

But my keyboard shortcut of posting a thread still works (Shift + Alt + S.... love that one!). :clap2:

The only drawback with that is it doesn't seem to work in the Advanced options reply page. :confused2:

XL-Dennis said:
It seems that some settings need to be changed:

In order to start new threads in this forum.

In order to insert a custom picture (unless it related to the number of posts we answer to).

Hey Dennis,

I created a test user with just normal rights, and created a test post in this forum. (You can find it here.) I was able to create the post without issue, and was able to upload pictures. Are you seeing something different?

Are you sure you've got it in the Avatar section? You've got a profile pic, but I don't see an avatar...

Are you sure you've got it in the Avatar section? You've got a profile pic, but I don't see an avatar...

It's probably my inexperience. I have sorted myself out a Gravatar which if I have my understaing correctly should associate to my email address.

I am probably missing some fundamental issue - hence nothing...?

I'll keep playing unless anyone can suggest a reason?

:confused2:

Hi Oli,

Unfortunately, Gravatars aren't supported in vBulletin yet. There's been a lot of call for them on their site, but nothing yet. I do see that someone put together a hack for an older version at vbulletin.org, but they haven't ported it to vbulletin 4.x, which is what I'm running here.

I'll take a deeper look over the weekend, as some posts left me with the impression that there still could be a way, it just may required more php skills than I currently possess. We'll see. :)

I was thinking it would be kind of a cool addition, actually. I wasn't aware of Gravatar, but I can see the value in it for those who frequent lots of blogs/forums. :)

I'd never heard of it before it was mentioned in this thread. That would be very cool. I'd use it. :)

Back