Thread: Comparing workbooks to identify active users and producing a report.

Unhappy Comparing workbooks to identify active users and producing a report.

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Hi I've got really basic skills and I'm struggling to complete this task.

I have many excel workbooks, each with the same title. A1, A2...are blank

A B C D E F G h i
    1 Display Name Employee ID Account Expiry Time Account Status Email Department Manager Comment
    2 John Smith A12345 29/03/2013 12:00:00 AM Enabled johnsmith@
    abc.com
    HR Alex Brown Aex Brown has requested extension

Every 15 days, a new workbook is generated with the above titles and it contains the list of temporary employees in the same format. Some of these temporary staff can have their contract extended and this would show up in the next workbook generated. The ones that do not have extended account, get deleted. Employee ID is unique, so is email

What I would like to do is to compare the workbooks to the previous ones for consecutive months, and produce a report where staff, whose contract has been extended can appear under the same title and the ones that don't exist don't show up on the report.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated. I've tried Index and Match function but on the new report, I can only get it to return their ID not other fields.

As it's on different workbooks, what would be the best way to produce the report in excel? would I have to copy each sheet from the workbook to a new excel workbook and have a master worksheet for the report?

Thank you

Hi, can anyone suggest how would I go about at least matching Column C with another column C in another workbook and return the whole row (B2, C2, D2, E2, F2, G2, H2, I2) with matched ID?

Any support would be greatly appreciated and very helpful.

Thank you.