Help with a search function

evangelion

Reaction score
Hello,
I was hoping someone would be able to help me with a search function I am trying to perform.

Basically, I have a document full of data and I am looking for specific errors in a specific column.

What I'm looking for, is instances where a forward slash has been used, and there is no space directly after it. So for example "RED/BLUE" would be an error, but "RED/ BLUE" would not be an error.

I tried using conditional formatting to show up instances of ?/? however, it see's a space as a character and brings back all correct functions also.

I have also tried using a search function which works in principal, but once it's found the first instance it stops looking and is therefore missing errors, eg:

=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("/",O199)),"",IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("/ ",O199)),"CHECK SLASH",""))

This would bring back "CHECK SLASH" on "RED/BLUE" but not on "RED/ BLUE/YELLOW"

How on earth do I perform a formula that would only show where the error I am looking for is included, and exclude anything else?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Try:

=IF((LEN(O199)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(O199,"/ ","")))/2=LEN(O199)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(O199,"/","")),"","CheckSlash")

Try:

=IF((LEN(O199)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(O199,"/ ","")))/2=LEN(O199)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(O199,"/","")),"","CheckSlash")

That's a really interesting approach - thanks for that. Much appreciated!

Back