Help required for League Table data entry

Okay. So apart from that 680 being applied to blanks, are the correct amounts being applied to the correct people?

Many thanks for your efforts today NBVC and Jeffrey. I have to sleep now, it's 1.30am here and I have to be up early. I'll get back to you tomorrow after work though.

All the best,

Brian.

Last edited:
1:30am is prime poker playing time.
Here's the cause of the problem:
The formula in cell AC4 is hard coded to refer to your initial table that only had 18 rows, and ran from $H$4:$AA$21.:
Code:
=IFERROR(IF(INDEX($H4:$AA4,MATCH(AC$2,$H$2:$AA$2,0)+1)>=LARGE(INDEX($H$4:[B]$AA$21[/B],0,MATCH(AC$2,$H$2:$AA$2,0)+1),4),LARGE(INDEX($H$55:$AA$58,0,MATCH(AC$2,$H$2:$AA$2,0)),COUNTIF(INDEX($H$4:[B]$AA$21[/B],0,MATCH(AC$2,$H$2:$AA$2,0)+1),">="&INDEX($H4:$AA4,MATCH(AC$2,$H$2:$AA$2,0)+1))),0),"-")

If you adjust this reference to point to the increased table size of $H$4:$AA$53, it should work:
Code:
=IFERROR(IF(INDEX($H4:$AA4,MATCH(AC$2,$H$2:$AA$2,0)+1)>=LARGE(INDEX($H$4:[B]$AA$53[/B],0,MATCH(AC$2,$H$2:$AA$2,0)+1),4),LARGE(INDEX($H$55:$AA$58,0,MATCH(AC$2,$H$2:$AA$2,0)),COUNTIF(INDEX($H$4:[B]$AA$53[/B],0,MATCH(AC$2,$H$2:$AA$2,0)+1),">="&INDEX($H4:$AA4,MATCH(AC$2,$H$2:$AA$2,0)+1))),0),"-")

See attached.
View attachment Table_02e.xlsx

Hi Jeff,

Yes 1.30am definitely good time to be playing poker but I don't play online very much any more. I much prefer playing "live" and enjoy the banter that comes with that.

The table is looking great thank you very much. There's just a couple of little tweeks to the design that I want to make and it'll be ready to use.

I really do appreciate the help and will be good to my word and send you a virtual bottle of wine via PayPal if you let me have your email address. You can send details to admin@oldtownpoker.co.uk, as can NBVC.

Many thanks guys,

Brian.

No worries Brian. I appreciate the offer, but I am here as a volunteer giving my help out for free. The "thanks" is enough payment for me, really.

Hi NBVC,

Your help has made managing the results of my league much, much easier and I'm grateful. It's not something I could have attempted on my own.
When the table is 100% finished I'll post it here again in case anyone following this thread (or looking at it in the future) can maybe benefit from it.

Cheers,

Brian.

Tell you what, Brian. Next time you're in Wellington, New Zealand I'll take you to my favorite pub, and the first round can be on you!

Hello again!

Just entering the results from week 3 into my new table and everything is fine till I try and sort the table. I select everything from C4-AA53 and then click the Sort/Filter button and select Custom Sort on Column C - Values - High to Low. This should put the points winner to the top of the table but I get an error that says "the operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized". I've tried resizing a lot of the cells but still get this error. I don't suppose it's a big issue but I can't find the problem!

View attachment Season 11 Game 3.xlsx

I was also wondering if this is the best way to sort the data each time? Is there a way to automate it so that as soon I've entered the scores I can run a macro or something to do this?

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi Brian. Basically this is the reason you never merge cells, but instead use the 'Center Across Selection' option and/or clever formatting to just make it look like cells are merged.

I'll fix up your worksheet for you, but this means that when you get down here the first two rounds are on you!

Hi Jeff,

Doing that has caused the players ranking (column B) to be sorted as well. I was trying to see how to lock these values so that they're not moved with the rest of the data but have only found the "format cells-protection-locked" option and that's already selected. Is there a way to stop these moving.

Don't worry Jeff, I've used Centre Across Selection to replace all the Merged Cells and reverted to the old filter method. I read the link you sent and will try to avoid the Merge option in future!

Hi Jeff,

I was wondering if you could just help tweak my table a little. The league I run has been growing and we raised the maximum number of players on any given night from 27 to 30 so I have had to adjust points allocation and payout structure. I changed the formula that calculates the points myself and that's all OK and I've added 5th place prize money to the look up table and given 5th Place it's own row at the bottom of the results table. I added conditional formatting so that the relevant cells are turned grey but changing the table on the right (the salmon coloured one) to add the prize money for 5th to the "Earnt" column is still beyond me. Would it be possible for you to look at that for me?

Hope all is well in New Zealand.

Many thanks,

Brian.

Attachments

• Old Town Poker Season 12 League Table_beta.xlsx
    63.1 KB · Views: 13
Back