Convert tenths of millimeters to decimal inches

iamjak

Reaction score
Hello,

Is there any way to convert tenths of millimeters to decimal inches. Doing several separate conversions would be fine, but I can't even figure out how to do the first part: tenths of millimeters to regular millimeters (ie, 3 = 0.3 millimeters). In the format cells tools all I can find is how to ADD decimal places after the number, not before.

I know there's got to be a way to use a formula for multiplication, but whatever I try to do, I end up with a column of zeros.

Can anyone help?

The trick is to add a comma for every thousand that you want to strip out. Try this:
###.###,

Thanks for your response, JeffreyWeir. Unfortunately when I tried that (in the custom section of the format cells dialog box) I got ".003" rather than '.03'. It tried putting in another #, subtracting a #, adding commas, etc. but I couldn't make it work. I'd either get ".003" or just a "." I must be doing something wrong.

But I finally tried dividing all the values by 100 and that worked. Yay!

Now on to converting to inches :)

Hi iamjak. If you've got to convert to inches, you might as well do the divide by 100 at the same time, and not bother with custom number formats.

Back