Cumulative sum, based on previous data

downhillsheep

Reaction score
Ok, I'm sure this is pretty easy to figure out but this has been bugging me for a while.

If you look at the attached file, I have twelve months of data of various amounts. What I would like to do is to report ZERO for Jan as the amount if less than 0.5; report ZERO for Feb as the total of Jan and Feb is still less than 0.5. However, for Mar I'd like to report 0.7 as that is the total of Jan, Feb, and Mar and is over 0.5. For Apr I would like to report 1.2 as that amount is already higher than 0.5; May ZERO and Jun 1.3 and so on and so fourth

I have to do this for over 10k lines of data and would love an easier way of formulating it so I know what needs to be reported on any given month

Thank you so much for your help​

Attachments

• Example.xlsx
    8.9 KB · Views: 21
Do you mean?

=IF(SUM($C3:C3)<0.5,0,SUM($C3:C3))

copied across

HI NBVC, that is kind of what of want, but i need the formula to sum up those months where the data is less than 0.5 - for example Jan 0.4 (report as zero) Feb 0.2 (add this with Jan and report as 0.6) April 0.2 (report as zero) May 0.2 (report as zero) Jun 1.4 (add Apr and May and report as 1.8)

Hope this makes sense

I am having a bit of a brain freeze this morning... I will see what I can come up with eventually... unless others have any suggestions...

Hello,
HI NBVC, that is kind of what of want, but i need the formula to sum up those months where the data is less than 0.5 - for example Jan 0.4 (report as zero) Feb 0.2 (add this with Jan and report as 0.6) April 0.2 (report as zero) May 0.2 (report as zero) Jun 1.4 (add Apr and May and report as 1.8)

Hope this makes sense

In your posted data, shouldn't the value for September be 0.6?

If so, try the following formula in C5, and copy to the right. (This assumes that your data range starts in col B3.)
=IF(SUM(OFFSET($B$3,0,INDEX(MAX(MAX(IF($B5:B5>0, COLUMN($B5:B5))),COLUMN($B$3))-COLUMN($B$3)+1, 1),1,INDEX(COLUMN()-MAX(MAX(IF($B5:B5>0, COLUMN($B5:B5))),COLUMN($B$3)), 1)))>=0.5, SUM(OFFSET($B$3,0,INDEX(MAX(MAX(IF($B5:B5>0, COLUMN($B5:B5))),COLUMN($B$3))-COLUMN($B$3)+1, 1),1,INDEX(COLUMN()-MAX(MAX(IF($B5:B5>0, COLUMN($B5:B5))),COLUMN($B$3)), 1))), 0)

enter with Ctrl + Shift + Enter (instead of Enter)

I will give some thought to simplifying the formula... but in the meantime, let me know if you are getting the results you need.

Cheers,
Sajan.

Back