Data Validation and Dropdown List

cdhamo

Reaction score
I want to create a data validation, with a dropdown list, using initially 3 cell ranges. I couldn't work out how to do it, so I created another range including 3 separate areas on my first worksheet called "dropdown". Can someone please help. What do I type into the data verification box (2nd sheet - E4), so it will show the cells relating to "Dropdown" or "COS" & "Expenses" & "Capital". File attached. Many thanks.

Attachments

• Help List.xlsx
    24.1 KB · Views: 17
Some data in that workbook might help.

I didn't think data affected the question or answer, as I have named the cell ranges...

Attachments

• Help List Updated.xlsx
    24.2 KB · Views: 26
That second example is no help at all. There is no list to apply to Data validation, the Named Ranges that you probably intend to use produce #Ref!. There are 14 named Ranges in the workbook!!

If you think we have time to waste providing an answer based on guesswoprk then you won't get an answer.

I don't understand your comment. I've mentioned which cell ranges (in the initial post) which I need to include in the validation. The words / text will change within these ranges - that's why I haven't filled out each and every row. What do I need to do?

Capital is a single cell range so how would you make a list from that? Your ranges need to be Dynamic or given that you are working with Excel 2007 or newer then make them into Tables. I think you are looking to make a selection & the relevant list be made available. In which case you need a drop down to select the type of expense and then a drop down that is loaded using INDIRECT to populate this drop down with the relevant list.

Thank you, not sure I totally understand, but I want the one cell E4 to have a drop down box showing all entries under the headings COS,Expenses and the row that indicates Capital. That's why I've made cell ranges.

Back