Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Data Validation and Dropdown List

Data Validation and Dropdown List

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

I want to create a data validation, with a dropdown list, using initially 3 cell ranges. I couldn't work out how to do it, so I created another range including 3 separate areas on my first worksheet called "dropdown". Can someone please help. What do I type into the data verification box (2nd sheet - E4), so it will show the cells relating to "Dropdown" or "COS" & "Expenses" & "Capital". File attached. Many thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Some data in that workbook might help.

I didn't think data affected the question or answer, as I have named the cell ranges...

Quote Originally Posted by cdhamo View Post
    I didn't think data affected the question or answer, as I have named the cell ranges...
    Here is an updated file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Articles
    Excel Version
    most versions
    That second example is no help at all. There is no list to apply to Data validation, the Named Ranges that you probably intend to use produce #Ref!. There are 14 named Ranges in the workbook!!

If you think we have time to waste providing an answer based on guesswoprk then you won't get an answer.
    Hope that helps

Roy

I don't understand your comment. I've mentioned which cell ranges (in the initial post) which I need to include in the validation. The words / text will change within these ranges - that's why I haven't filled out each and every row. What do I need to do?

Articles
    Excel Version
    most versions
    Capital is a single cell range so how would you make a list from that? Your ranges need to be Dynamic or given that you are working with Excel 2007 or newer then make them into Tables. I think you are looking to make a selection & the relevant list be made available. In which case you need a drop down to select the type of expense and then a drop down that is loaded using INDIRECT to populate this drop down with the relevant list.
    Hope that helps

Roy

Thank you, not sure I totally understand, but I want the one cell E4 to have a drop down box showing all entries under the headings COS,Expenses and the row that indicates Capital. That's why I've made cell ranges.

Articles
    Excel Version
    most versions
    So you want one List?
    Hope that helps

Roy

Yes that's correct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast