Show forumla steps

talmarsh

Reaction score
Hey all,

Looked around for a way to do this but so far came up empty.

I have a formula in one cell, say:
=A1*A2+A3

A1=2, A2=3, A3=10

I want to have another cell displaying the computation steps:
=2*3+10

Is it possible?
Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi Talmarsh
A lot would hinge on the variation in the formulae you want to show steps for. In your example, its simple to identify 3 steps. What steps would you want to identify for this formula:

=IFERROR(LOOKUP(9.99E+307,--MID(A2,MIN(FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},A2&1234567890)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A2))))),0)

Oh thanks for the quick reply. But unfortunately I didn't get it :p

Let me be more specific. I have two tables of data and I need to run calculations between the two tables + show the professor the calculation steps--
I'll add a snapshot:

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 8
  • Book1.xlsx
    10.5 KB · Views: 13
Hi
Sorry if my response seemed a little obtuse. What I meant was that I didn't think a solution could be suggested without seeing how complex the formulae that your wanting to show steps for will be, which you have now provided.
As your performing the same calculation each time, and the configuration of each formula is the same, I went for parsing out each element into a separate cell (Cols P to AX). It didn't take long to build one row, and from there you can copy down as many rows as you want. The only problem is that it gives a text result, which will be fine if you dont need a calculation result to prove that the steps are defined correctly. Hopefully this can be established just by checking the entries on an example.
If you need a calculation result
1. Contatenate Cells in Cols P to AX ( as Ive done in Col AZ)
2. Copy and Paste Special Values from AX to (eg) BB
3. Finally Edit the data in BB, delete and reinsert the = sign at the start of the text, which changes it to a formula.

Anyone interested in checking a sample could simply perform step 3 and then undo when they are happy its OK

Sorry - 2 above should read "........... from AZ to (eg) BB"

HTH
Herc

Attachments

• ShowFormulas.xlsx
    12.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back