Thread: New to forum could use some help

New to forum could use some help

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Hi everyone I could use some help here. what i need to do is pull data from multiple workbooks into one workbook.I have one main excel file with a list of 1000s of parts. Now the part number for each part is in column "A". each part has a separate excel file that is given the name of the part number in column "A". I need to get the data from a cell in that file for each part into the main excel file. Now I know i can do this by simply doing [workbookname]sheetname!cell but then i would have to type each part number for every formula. Is there a way to reference the part number in column A which is the same as the workbook name into the formula so i can just write the formula once and drag it down the column.

part # materials labor
    2558 a36
    4587 1018
    Here is an example of what i need. Each part number has its own excel file that contains the labor in a cell in that file. I know i could do [2558]sheet1!A1. but i have thousands of parts in this list is there a way insert the part # from column A into that formula so i don't have to write it in for every part or some other way anyone can think of to do it.

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 2010 64bit
    joe, although your posting is in the formulas section and I don't have any idea how to do this with formulas, my reply to this question in the VBA section may give some insight towards a solution.

http://www.excelguru.ca/forums/showt...orkbook%28s%29