Formula doesn't work in one computer but in other works

fjbcmra

Reaction score
Hello:
Im trying to use this simple formula =A1-B1 but the result is value. The cells are in general and another complicated formulas do work. In order to complete my job I gotta go to another computer and create the formula if I need to do a subtraction (-). I fixed the Whole office and I also uninstalled the office but still doesn't work.

If you enter these formulas in 2 separate cells, =Len(A1) and =Len(B1) do they result in the number of characters you see in A1 and B1?

I think then we would need to see a sample workbook showing the problem.....

The thing is that if I send you the workbook, in your computer gonna work but not in mine. I don't know whats happening with that type of formula.

It's hard to diagnose without seeing it, if you say all the other formulas are working. If they are, I'd say that somehow A1 or B1 has a hidden character or text which would cause the #VALUE! error to occur.

Ok. Here is the file. Let me tell you another thing, no matter which cell I use, or worksheet or workbook, it always give me the same error. I think is an Excel problem but I don't know. I just can subtract this way.

Attachments

• Book1.xlsx
    8.6 KB · Views: 65
When I open the book, I see in C1, =A1,B1 and I see the #VALUE! error. It should be in C1, =A1-B1. When I change it I see a result of 1.

The same is seen in I7.

that's what I have in the formula let me show u with this print screen

Attachments

• book1.JPG
    book1.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 124
Hmm, I wonder why your sheet would convert to =A1,B1 when I open it.... stumping me....

Hello
Is it possible that a key character has been redefined so that the code number prints as - but corresponds with the code for , ? Ive opened the sheet and it has , characters in the cells in error

I believe I gotta put excel to the default setting in order to solve the problem.

Just out of interest, test which character number your Excel thinks is "-".
1. Change the formula in I8 to text by putting ' before the =.
2. Then put this formula into a spare cell:
= CODE(MID(I8,4,1))
3. For , it should return 44 and for - 45.

Last edited:
It shows this

Attachments

• book1.JPG
    book1.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 72
Hi fjbcmra
It looks like theres a typing error in the formula but because its a .jpg I can't see all of it because the cell isn't wide enough. If you can upload the spreadsheet with the new error I'll take a look at it.
To get Excel to let you save the spreadsheet with the error, make it into text again using ' at the beginning. The problem might be that the formula actually contains the comma character and might be being interpreted as something else. If this is affecting other spreadsheets, and your sure that the problem is confined to Excel, the best solution might be to uninstall and reinstall it.

HTH
Hercules

Back