Suggestion - Office version selector when posting new threads

maninweb

Reaction score
Website
excel-translator.de
Excel Version(s)
2010, 2016, 2016 Insider
Hi there...

If I have not overseen it and if it is possible, I would like to suggest the possibility for the
user to indicate his Office/Excel version when posting threads.

Best regards :)

Hi Mourad,

Yeah, I've been thinking that most times I've answered questions, just haven't had the time to get back and implement it. I wonder though... should it be an option when posting, or should it be a mandatory field in the user profile that shows up next to the users name each time they post?

Problem with profile info Ken is keeping it up-to-date. This is my VBAX profile

Laptop 1 - Windows XP Pro, Office 2000,
Laptop 2 - Windows XP Home, Office 2000,
Desktop 1 - Windows

Hi Ken,

IMHO, it may perhaps be better, if a user can choose the version while writing his post;
because there may perhaps be some users who are using multiple versions of Excel;
for example at home and at work.

Best regards :)

Hi Ken

IMO it should be the poster who enters for what version of Excel they are seeking a solution.
If there was any way this could be an enforced entry on originating a question, then I think this would help.

I have all versions of Excel on my machine(s) from 97 through to 2010, and XP, Vista and Windows 7 available.
Primarily, I spend my time in Windows 7, and in Excel 2010.

Hi all,
The OP should have the option to indicate versions of Windows and Office/Excel in use. In it's simplest form the ops could just start with that information. It's quite irrelevant what the people who answer the questions use.

I'm just trying to think through how this one would work... would forcing a preface to a thread title (Office 2007:my thread title) be in order? I believe that vBulletin has built in support for that...

I think you need to be wary Ken. It is relatively few cases where the version of Excel is an issue, and it usually comes out in the end. Forcing something is never a good idea.

Personally, I would not go that route.

Maybe, Bob... I'm not totally sure... I see that the major breaking point is between Excel <= 2003 and Excel >= 2007. There were a lot of changes introduced that were siginificant... the Ribbon, Pivot Table changes, Conditional Formatting and so on.

I hear what you're saying though. Ideally it would be nice if you could tag your profile, but have a way to keep it up to date. I'd rather not put in nag screens to remind people though... that would just be irritating.

The reality too is that the people you really want to know from probably wouldn't fill in the field anyway!

I'm really tied on this one.

I agree about 2003/2007 Ken, but the question usually gives it away.

I can't agree with you there Bob.
When posters ask about Pivot Tables there is often no clue as to what version they are using.
The suggested response, and the steps will vary enormously between <=2003, 2007 and 2010.

It would just be helpful if there was some idea of which version the OP wanted the solution.
I agree, what version I or you run is not really of any consequence for the OP, but even if we have and are familiar with all versions, it does make it easier to give the best advice when we know which version the OP is using.

easy sorted Ken :), go here http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=242246, as admin you then create the templates in a created category, so create a shared category called "Excel" then create shared templates like this:
Excel 97
Excel 2003
Excel 2007
Excel 2010
Office 97
Office 2003
Office 2007
Office 2010

Well you get the idea, a new template for each version, make sure they are shared and you allow your user permissions to use the templates but not create or manage them, and hey presto a nice dropdown the OP and replier can use in every post window :)
templatelist.jpg

Any problems i'll lend you a hand ;)

Back