INTERSECT in Excel

I don't know if you're splitting hairs, I think it's more greedy than anything (for want of more - although I can't blame you!). The way I look at it, there are thousands of users on other applications which do the same thing as OWA. What we do know is that Microsoft (or at least someone finally kicked them in the butt to jumpstart them) is finally on the bandwagon with this type of development. It's not the full-blown version, sure, but it does a ton of the basics, which is what most people need. We're the minority when it comes to the people using Excel (for example). The number of people who use 'advanced' options in Office are less in number than those who don't. It makes perfect business sense to offer them a free alternative, not with all the bells and whistles, but enough to get by. If they want more, buy the full app. It's beautiful strategy and marketing really. Of the people I know here geo-locally, 100% of them could get by with not ever buying Office and just using what is currently offered in OWA. I am literally the only person, probably within a 500 sq mi radius (probably more), which uses anything beyond what OWA delivers.

I think the topic of "what collaboration should be" is another topic altogether though. I don't see it as having much to do with OWA though, at least not real-time collaboration anyway. But the argument that email does that is craziness. At least once a week I have to tell users, "don't open a file right from your email, it is only a temporary file, save it first, THEN open it." Constantly. And that doesn't even cover different versions. Attaching files to emails is just a headache. Put it to the cloud? Yes please!! Google started it first with Google Docs, Microsoft is lagging behind but catching up I think. The cloud keeps it as a central repository. It's a poor man's Sharepoint in a sense (I know, not-really-kinda-maybe). I <3 OWA. :love:

.....But the argument that email does that is craziness. At least once a week I have to tell users, "don't open a file right from your email, it is only a temporary file, save it first, THEN open it." Constantly. And that doesn't even cover different versions. Attaching files to emails is just a headache. ...... I <3 OWA.
Again i have to conceed that, i've had many people tell me they "downloaded" the file edited it saved it and can't find it anywhere.....etc, i guess that was just a flippant throw away statement but you got my drift. MS may well be on to the perfect marketing of the app, but if the full version does actually make better use of the functions...etc wouldn't they advertise that right along with the free app? unless of course that is part of the marketing stratedgy, kind of "less is more" :)

And as for your "greedy" remark.........DAMN right!, i was spoon fed as a baby and nothing much has changed, when i want something i want it all ;), my wife can testify to that, if a new gadget or piece of tech comes out and i want it (and can afford it) then i want the ultimate in it, not the base or entry model, if i'm having it then it must be fully loaded, my bedside drawer is full of "gotta have" gadgets n stuff :D
EDIT:
my bedside drawer is full of "gotta have" gadgets n stuff
Just realised how that sounds, hopefully you're not smutty minded and my virtue is safe ;)

Last edited:
Back