Trouble Installing PowerPivot

Justin

Reaction score
Hi Ken and all :)

Total noob question for you:

I decided to check out PowerPivot and my beginnings are not auspicious.

I am running

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Microsoft Office Enterprise 2010

I downloaded the file "1033\PowerPivot_for_Excel_amd64.msi"

From this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e081c894-e4ab-42df-8c87-4b99c1f3c49b

I run the executable, I get this message (see attached screenshot).

I go to the link mentioned in the screenshot, basically takes me back to the download page where I started.

Can't see where I am going wrong, any thoughts?

:confused2:

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• pp_install_error.jpg
    pp_install_error.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 388
Sorry, correction -- "Office Professional Plus 2010", not Enterprise.

Also, I checked that Office Shared Features and Office Tools were present and accounted for, still no luck sadly.

Well what do you know...you're right.

I am going to reinstall Office as 64 bit and see if that works.

Thanks Mourad!

Hi Justin,

Powerpivot is a bit different from the other apps out there in that the 32 vs 64 bit is actually tied to the version of Office, not the version of Windows. (Pretty much everything else is opposite.)

For reference, the biggest thing Office 64 will give you is the ability to make use of more RAM. But if you get into any coding there are transitions that need to be done. You also can't install it alongside any other Office version. (So if you go 64bit, you have 64bit Excel and that's it. If you stay 32bit, you can actually run Office 2003/2007/2010 on the same machine.)

I've seen quite a few people that have switched back to the 32bit version of Office after using the 64bit version, as they don't feel 64bit is ready.

Ken, thanks for that. I left on the 32 bit version for now with that in mind, just to spare myself the headache for the time being.

I've managed to get the add-in installed -- now just to figure out how it works :)

If I'm really lucky, perhaps I can get the Sharepoint component set up here at work.

Hey Justin,

Not really sure how the Sharepoint integeration works for this one. I believe that there is a separate PowerPivot for Sharepoint product that installs on the server, but haven't checked that out yet myself. Regardless, you'd build the model in Excel first, then publish it to Sharepoint anyway, so nothing you do here would be lost.

As for figuring out how it works... that part is the fun part. :)

Right. I think I got the basics figured out. This is pretty awesome indeed.

Re: the Sharepoint integration, I think you're right Ken, it seems it lets you publish your models to Sharepoint as interactive web apps that can refresh automatically. My guess is the demos on this page are probably using Sharepoint? http://powerpivot.com/demo.aspx

My guess is the demos on this page are probably using Sharepoint? http://powerpivot.com/demo.aspx

Yep. That's the only way to make it foreward facing on the web like that. (Unfortunatley PowerPivot won't refresh in the free WebApp client.)

XL-Dennis said:
Can You elaborate it further?

Oddly enough, I really can't. I've asked for some more on this too, Dennis. I know Zack has had some issues with it.

My only real issues that were 64 bit related were around the lack of compatible add-ins and programs. MZTools, SmartIndenter, Google Calendar connector & the Office Social Connector haven't all been ported to 64 bit yet. Beyond that I wasn't having any issues. The only reason I uninstalled it was because I needed Office 2007 installed locally to record some Excel video webcasts, and it won't co-exist with 64bit office.

As far as working in the app... no big issues once I'd got the 64bit code compatibility out of the way.

I wonder if we should start a new thread on this specific to it. It could be interesting to hear what others impressions are of it?

Ken, thanks for that. I left on the 32 bit version for now with that in mind, just to spare myself the headache for the time being.

I've managed to get the add-in installed -- now just to figure out how it works :)

If I'm really lucky, perhaps I can get the Sharepoint component set up here at work.

Powerpivot for Sharepoint is quite a different beast. At a high level, it is effectively SQL Server Analysis Services running a Vertipak storage engine (as opposed to the standard SSAS OLAP engine).

So on an existing Sharepoint (2010 only) "farm", you need to install SSAS in "sharepoint integrated" mode and then you can turn on the Sharepoint powerpivot Services (in the same way you would enable Excel Services, PerformancePoint Services. I believe all the BI components require Sharepoint 2010 enterprise edition, so if you have that you can install and run Powerpivot. It's not an easy task though so i'd recommend a good deal of reading and understanding first

Thanks Will for the response. It gives a helpful view into what's needed.

It was my intention. If I wanted to touch a server myself, I'd have to pull a stunt like Tom Cruise from Mission Impossible ;)

LOL!

Hang out with geeks enough and you'll decide to build your own at home some day. ;)

Nah! I am on a SharePoint course today, and it is as bad as I expected.

Back