Invoked Custom Function - SQL Queries

umutkoyun

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Hi All,

Anyone knows any way around to run an update which includes custom query functions on the BI server ?

#"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "fnQuery", each fnQuery([Query])),

(I plan to move all such queries to the SQL as views, any other ideas ?)

Thanks,

I'm going to say "it depends"...

What does the query do? How is it written (i.e. what can you show me the function's M code? And are you talking about setting it up to schedule the refresh in the Power BI service without using a gateway?

Generally the answer would be to make sure that you are using the Value.NativeQuery() function to send a parameterized query to SQL server that doesn't violate the formula firewall. What you want to avoid is building a query in text and then passing it via the Sql.Database() function, as that just causes issues. Not sure if that would block you from a refresh on the service, but it also wouldn't surprise me.

On the other hand, if you have access to the SQL server to build views, then having a view built on the SQL server just makes life so much easier as Power Query is just retrieving data and can fold any filters to make retrieval faster.

hi Ken,

Nice to be in contact with you again.

I think I got this method from one of your posts like 5-6 years ago.

Here is the first part of the code

Code:
  #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Duplicates", "Query", each " use "& dBase &"

select 

from  ["& dBase &"_"& Text.From([Yil]) &"_"& [FirmaID] &"].[ACCOUNT_CARD_ROWS] ACR

left join ["& dBase &"_"& Text.From([Yil]) &"_"& [FirmaID] &"].[ACCOUNT_PLAN] AP on ACR.[ACCOUNT_ID] = AP.[ACCOUNT_CODE]
left join ["& dBase &"_"& Text.From([Yil]) &"_"& [FirmaID] &"].[ACCOUNT_CARD] AC on AC.CARD_ID = ACR.CARD_ID

"),
    #"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Conditional Column", "fnButunSantiyeler", each fnButunSantiyeler([Query])),
#"Expanded fnButunSantiyeler" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Invoked Custom Function",

fnButunSantiyeler Function Query

Code:
 (Query as text) => let
        Source = Sql.Database(dBaseIP, dBase , [Query=Query, CreateNavigationProperties=false])
    in
        Source

Ekran görüntüsü 2022-07-01 080836.png

Even with the gateway, it does not update the queries which includes Invoke Function and yes, i am trying to update automatically without the gateway and manually with Power Automate. All gives Privacy Errors and not updating.

I am not uisng Value.NativeQuery() function though. Will it solve my Privacy problem and let me refresh ?

I have tried with this code but it does not run the query for each row (though it does not recognize the [Query] column)

Code:
NPowerQuery = Sql.Database(dBaseIP, dBase),
Code:
WholeData = Value.NativeQuery(NPowerQuery, [Query],null,[EnableFolding = true] )

also I tried below code as I have to run the Query for each row. It is working normally but still does not update on the server side.

Code:
let
    Source = (Query as text) => let
        Source = Value.NativeQuery(Sql.Database(dBaseIP, dBase), Query)
    in
        Source
in
    Source

Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupSecurityException.Reason PrivacyError

Hmmm... give this a shot and let me know if it makes any difference:

M:
let
        myDB =Sql.Database(dBaseIP, dBase),
        Source = Value.NativeQuery(mdDB, Query)
    in
        Source
in
    Source

If not, I'm actually wondering if declaring the myDB outside the function as a separate parameter (or query) might help...

Hmmm... give this a shot and let me know if it makes any difference:

M:
let
        myDB =Sql.Database(dBaseIP, dBase),
        Source = Value.NativeQuery(mdDB, Query)
    in
        Source
in
    Source

If not, I'm actually wondering if declaring the myDB outside the function as a separate parameter (or query) might help...
what is the difference with my code (which I have already tried) on my previous message ?

let
Source = Value.NativeQuery(Sql.Database(dBaseIP, dBase), Query)
in
Source
in
Source

It is breaking the query down a bit into separate steps. There are times when this makes a big difference to Power Query’s evaluation of the function. (Especially when trying to deal with issues related to the formula firewall, which is what you are seeing.)
It may not fix it, but it could. Give it a go a let me know if it makes any difference.

It is breaking the query down a bit into separate steps. There are times when this makes a big difference to Power Query’s evaluation of the function. (Especially when trying to deal with issues related to the formula firewall, which is what you are seeing.)
It may not fix it, but it could. Give it a go a let me know if it makes any difference.
unfortunately it didnt make any difference...

what about this new feature ? they use the parameter bind to a table in the source query...

Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop

i dont have any options left i guess... i have to force the option to create views on SQL with IT team...

Back