Help Filter Pivot Table

dougemac

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Excel 265
I'm a teacher and I'm trying to develop a dashboard to report student progress for my students. I'm happy with the progress I've made in developing it but I am stuck filtering out zero values from my pivot table. I'm using a table with multiple-level rows with the values being organized first, then assignments. I'm using the table filter to filter out the zero values which seems to work for the first set of values but it won't filter them out in the subsequent rows in the next section.

If I set up my table differently, I don't have this problem but in terms of what I need to report, this format is the best and I'd like to see if I can problem solve this filtering issue first before adapting my report format. Is there a way to filter the entire table while it has this format?
Untitled.jpg

Doug, always easiest to help if you supply actual data which of course you can mask. That said consider pulling the table that is feeding the pivot table into power Query (Data Tab) and replace zero's with
"null" this will ensure that zeros are not shown in the pivot table

[FONT=Noto Sans, Arial, sans-serif]Sorry, here's more context to my issue: I have a pivot table organized in such as way that I want certain skills like "reasoning" and "problem solving" to be reported next to the "assignment" students demonstrated those skills on. The way I have the pivot table is setup currently is the way I want it. The only thing I'd like to do is filter out the rows that have a zero. When I use the table filter, it only sorts the "reasoning" section, not the entire table. I'm looking to for the entire pivot table to filter out the rows with zero values.[/FONT]

Here is a link to the file: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ouid=112612919185085760255&rtpof=true&sd=true

Doug, I am unclear based on the file you sent what you are trying to achieve? Cannot see an actual pivot table or indeed what table the pivot table should be pulling data from? Note pivot tables are exceedingly useful tools probably the coolest piece of kit within excel especially when combined with pivot charts and Power Query. That said they are ideal when using numbers within quad 4 (values section) and are virtually useless if you are using text in that same quad. If you are attempting to do what I think you are i.e. interrogate text then a pivot table would not be the best tool.

Back