Parenthesis issue

saadt

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Can anyone pleas check the following formula and tell me why am I getting missing parenthesis errorr?

=SUMIF(MAIN!$B$8:$B$1048576,'people count by hour'!$J$2,COUNTIF(MAIN!$GD$12:$GD$1048576,'people count by hour'!$A$4))

Would appreciate your help

The COUNTIF formula will return a single value to the sum range of the SUMIF formula, however this should be a range.

I couldnt understand why countif function is in the sumif"s sumrange part. countif doesnt give you any range

The COUNTIF formula will return a single value to the sum range of the SUMIF formula, however this should be a range.

yes this is a range. Criteria is just one cell which will move as i drag the formula down to other cell

Im pretty sure the parenthesis is causing a problem..........can anyone please tell me where should i insert the parenthesis???

yes this is a range. Criteria is just one cell which will move as i drag the formula down to other cell
I dont think so, especially when your criteria (people count by hour'!$A$4) is a single cell. I hope anybody else will able to figure it out.

the reason why i am putting count if in the sum range of sum function because I dont want to add similar cells..........i rather want a count of similar cells.............like if A is repeating 5 times.......i want number 5 instead of sum of all the A's

I dont think so, especially when your criteria (people count by hour'!$A$4) is a single cell. I hope anybody else will able to figure it out.

isnt criteri always single cell?

the reason why i am putting count if in the sum range of sum function because I dont want to add similar cells..........i rather want a count of similar cells.............like if A is repeating 5 times.......i want number 5 instead of sum of all the A's
select the range, let the sumif function sum A 5 times. then subtract it to countif

View attachment 2012 warehouse - CAROLE - working.xlsm

Okay so I just attached the file……….this file is shows department, people working under each department and their schedule time on oct 20[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012………..as you can see there are 3 sheets…………people count by hour is where I want all the result and it should be coming from the main file………do not delete sheet is created just for the data validation in cell number G3 in people count by hour sheet. Ignore do not delete sheet please

So here is what I want in the “people count by hour sheet………….As soon as I change the department using data validation drop down list in cell G3…………I want to see how many people in that department is working at the times in column A of people count by hour sheet.
Is should be coming from the main file.

So for example if I change the department to sales in “people count by hour” sheet.
9:30Am should show the count of 2 and 6:00pm should show the count of 1 in the “people count by hour sheet.
I think combining sumif and countif could do the trick but im getting that parenthesis error.

Someone please help me I really need help right now.

thanks

would really appreciate if someone could help me........i really need it right now pleasee

Sorry for the late response.
Here is the formula for your sheet. I couldnt upload the file coz I dont know how to do it. (Countifs function works only in excel 2007 and above)
=COUNTIFS(MAIN!C:C;'people count by hour'!A4;MAIN!A:A;'people count by hour'!$G$3)
Good luck

You need to spell out your entire criteria, as explicitly as possible. Your information is very fractioned and difficult to follow. Let me try to understand this, because I do not fully.

1) You want to COUNT (not SUM), cells in column B of the MAIN worksheet, starting in row 8 and to the end of the column
2) You only want to count these if they are unique (same as your criteria
3) Your criteria is 'people count by hour'!$J$2

So, some obvious questions here. Regarding the numbered list above:
1) What's in column B? Do you have a header? Is your data contiguous? Does the last row change? Can we make it dynamic?
2) You posted a SUMIF function, but say you want to count by a specific criteria. Which is it? And whichever one it is, what is the criteria - exactly?
3) If J2 is your criteria, what is A4?

Please be very specific, otherwise you won't get a good answer.

Back