Conflict table

spudulene

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Excel 2019
Some time ago I had some help creating a conflict table in excel. Basically, I am able to put in schedule days and times and it populates a table for me allowing me to see where people have openings in their schedules. It works pretty well, but clearly there are some bugs. I have attached two examples (View attachment conflict.xlsx). Tab 1, "schedules," shows a real example of what I use the table for, removing all personal identifiers. The table allows me to see that I can schedule a meeting for 9:00 am on M or W that everyone can attend. As a college professor, it is nearly impossible to get full participation from a class, but I can download everyone schedule easily from the university. I can have 50 students in a class, all with 4 or 5 schedule lines. The second tab, "all 1s" should return a table that has all 1's in it, but it does not. I have tried tinkering with the formula (I am not an expert, someone else wrote it, but I thought I might have found an error) and played with the time formatting in several different ways. It just seems to get more and more strange.

Is there a solution for this behavior, or have I done something totally wrong in the way I have entered (formatted) my data.
Any help would be appreciated.

Please provide a sample workbook containing names (these can be dummy names). It's impossible to troubleshoot without the exact set-up you have, although we only need 3 or 4 students (e.g. Donald, Mickey, Pluto and Goofy).

If you select cell A2 in the all 1's tab, press F2 on the keyboard to edit it, then straightaway press the Enter key, this will have re-entered the existing data… and a bit more; it will have changed the value a little bit (in the order of a nanosecond).
Having done that, usually you'd end up in cell A3. This means you can press F2 then Enter again to do the same thing to cell A3. Carry on doing that until you get to cell A58. Then do the same thing to columns I and H.
I imagine you'll have entered a couple of time values in rows 2 & 3 then dragged down, and Excel hasn't been as successful as it should be in returning exact 15 minute intervals.

Last edited:
Here is a table exactly as I would use it, with data. To quote Dragnet, "Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent."
I appreciate your efforts to troubleshoot.

Attachments

• conflict-2.xlsx
    19.4 KB · Views: 6
That is crazy, but it worked. Will this be stable or will I have to do this trick periodically if I change the contents of H and I?
To create the column I did some dragging of Column A as well as manual reentering the data, but sometimes that did not fix the problem.
Thank you so much.

Last edited:
That is crazy, but it worked. Will this be stable or will I have to do this trick periodically if I change the contents of H and I?
If you change the values in the time cells by dragging you'll probably have to re-enter just those cells.
Another solution might be to change the formula to add some rounding such as:
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(FIND(B$1,$M$2:$M$989))),--((((ROUND($A2,6)<ROUND($O$2:$O$989,6))*(ROUND($A2,6)>=ROUND($N$2:$N$989,6)))+((ROUND($A2+TIME(0,15,0),6)<ROUND($O$2:$O$989,6))*(ROUND($A2+TIME(0,15,0),6)>ROUND($N$2:$N$989,6))))>0))
but I wouldn't necessarily trust that formula.

I will not be changing the time cells for the table, only the input. Those are downloaded from the university.
Hopefully, this has resolved the issue and I will not see it at all any more.
I really appreciate the help.

Back